Lux 3 drop in for Surefire Incandescents

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

My opinion says that these drop in lux-3 lamps have potential based on this review. Does anybody here actually have these drop-in bulbs yet?

I love my Surefires, but because of the dawn-awful runtime and rapid yellowing of the incandescent bulbs (on the 6Ps, 9Ps, and C3), I rarely use them (I use mostly the L-series LED Surefires). If this drop in is good, this would give me reason to use my 6Ps, 9Ps, and C3 more. Comments please I ask?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
357:

It works great. It's my most frequently used Surefire now. Beautiful hotspot with generous side spill to spare. It's one of the only two Luxeon lights I own(the other being an XO3).

Oh yea, I have a C3 that I EDC. USe pilas, enough said.

Nick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
270winchester said:
357:

It works great. It's my most frequently used Surefire now. Beautiful hotspot with generous side spill to spare. It's one of the only two Luxeon lights I own(the other being an XO3).

Oh yea, I have a C3 that I EDC. USe pilas, enough said.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to hear a positive comment on this product. I might just have to get myself some (one for each incandescent Surefire I have).

Phil_B

Enlightened
Just as 270 said. I love mine,went straight in a G2 with no hassle. Bright,good spot,lots of good sidespill. Mine's a little on the blue side,but in real world use you just can't tell. only obvious on a white wall etc.
HTH,Phil.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bugout gear; check out their thread in the dealer's corner.
I believe they are in stock.
These are indeed pretty great for anyone who doesn't like their incan dimming and yellowing after a few minutes.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are these made? Is the manufacture known for high reliabliity.

I know they are sold at Bugout Gear, but who makes the light I am curious.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I bought 2. One went into a G2 perfectly and the other into a 1980-something 6R converted back to 6P. When fully together, there is a ~.050" gap between the body and bezel. Both are bright and white! I don't have much run time on them yet.

Larry

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Larry,

Someone came up with a better method of getting the drop-in to work with a G2. I will try to post pics in the original thread (thread #2)tonight. The new "contact ring" allows the head to screw down just all the way with zero gap. You can actually just modify the spring that it came with.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

Steve C

Enlightened
How do they compare to a KL-3?

I'm talking beam characteristics; I assume this drop-in is NOT regulated?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Samuel...the module can handle up to 9 volts.
Steve...Yes, it is regulated. I don't have a KL-3 so someone else might be of help on that one.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

wwglen

Enlightened
Could you get a 3 watt drop in for the e2e? That would be the next logical application.

wwglen

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Steve C said:
How do they compare to a KL-3?
I'm talking beam characteristics

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Lux 3 dropin in a SF C2... also have the KL3 on a SF 6P.

I don't have any way to measure, other than my eyeballs.

The dropin is much brighter, with a defined hotspot and bright sidespill.

JB

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to see some answers to the questions you have asked befor I decide if I want to order some.

I see the people selling them have answers for the other questions that have been asked, but for some reason have not answered your question.

So where are these made? Is the manufacture known for high reliabliity?

AlphalphaPB

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to see some answers to the questions you have asked befor I decide if I want to order some.

I see the people selling them have answers for the other questions that have been asked, but for some reason have not answered your question.

So where are these made? Is the manufacture known for high reliabliity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I too wonder why the importers still haven't come forward with this information. Here's what I know, based on what I've gathered from wandering around Hong Kong, CPF threads, airsoft retailer sites and Illuminium's Japanese flashlight website.

The assemblies are made by G&P, a Hong Kong-based company that produces Surefire-compatible lamp assemblies for their own line of flashlights. The flashlights are nothing special as far as I can tell, but the lamp assemblies appear to be fairly well made. Many flashlight and airsoft stores in Hong Kong sell the G&P versions of the P60/P90 lamps but I've only seen the 3W module selling for ~US$30 at one place (FYI: the place is called "Mei Foh", the store with two locations along Ap Liu Street. They're also the only place with Vital Gear bodies on that street.).

As far as I know, these Surefire P-series compatible lamps are available from G&P:
<ul type="square">
[*]Incandescent lamp, 6V. Seen in Hong Kong for ~US$10-12.
[*]Incandescent lamp, 9V. Can't remember pricing.
[*]Incandescent lamp, 12V. Ditto on pricing.
[*]SF A2-style 6V incandescent + 3 5mm white LEDs; this is the module that KevinL calls "The Widget" at this thread. Two modes are available by twisting the flashlight's bezel: LED only, or LED + incandescent. Seen in Hong Kong for ~US$18.
[*]"SF A3"(!!) 9V incandescent + 3 5mm white LEDs. Seen in Hong Kong for ~US$20.
[*]1W LED lamp. Seen in Hong Kong for ~US$20.
[*]3W LED lamp; I think these are the same ones that Bugoutgear are selling. Seen in Hong Kong for ~US$30.
[*]8 5mm LED + 1 large LED; referred to as the G&P 8+1LED. The large LED does not appear to be a Lux. It looks more like a larger version of a typical 5mm white LED.
[*]8 5mm LED + 1 large LED; referred to as the G&P 8+1LED DX. I have no idea what "DX" stands for, but according to Illuminium's page, it should be a bit brighter than the original 8+1. Seen in Hong Kong for roughly US$25.
[/list]
I recently saw a URL on the packaging of one of the G&P lamps, but the site didn't seem to be up yet. I do know, however, that G&P flashlights seem to be of two varieties: those that are as fat as P-series Surefires, and those that are thinner in the body like E-series Surefires. Both types seem to have heads that can use the G&P or Surefire P-series lamps. I have not seen a G&P flashlight that uses an E-series lamp, so I find it somewhat unlikely that G&P would produce an LED lamp assembly that would fit in a Surefire E-series. Judging from the size of the existing G&P LED assemblies (they have a larger body than Surefires; this fatter body takes the place of Surefire's outer spring), it would be difficult to reduce the innards to the size of an E2 assembly. Just my observations, BugOutGear_USA, and I would love to be proven wrong.

Hope this helps everybody out.

Samuel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BugOutGear_USA said:
Samuel...the module can handle up to 9 volts.
Steve...Yes, it is regulated. I don't have a KL-3 so someone else might be of help on that one.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Flavio, thanks for the response. I don't know what the output (voltage/capacity) of the SF B65 battery is so I'm concerned about it not providing enough juice to properly power the 3W LED... Anyone have an idea?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
cia,

Those questions have been answered before in other threads and now done so again by Alpha. If you question the quality of these lights then you may want to check out either flashlightreviews.com or just ask any of the 150 satisfied customers on CPF so far.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com