Talk about bad luck...

wwglen

Enlightened
I already posted that yesterday I lost my L4 with two stage tailcap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Well today I got a call from the local police. Seems that the SKS I purchased last month at a pawn store turned up as stolen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The Marine who owned it was in IRAQ and his roomate stole it and pawned it. It did not get reported until months later when he returned.

Not I have to give it up and HOPE to get restitution from the roomate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Twice in two days.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

wwglen

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's terrible. That is the perfect thing to dim an aflashionado's day. (how do u like my new name for flashaholics?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry man....

theepdinker

Enlightened
So how is it you take the loss?
You bought it from the pawn shop, they are involved in selling stolen property to you.
Seems to me, the pawn shop should be refunding your money, then seek restitution from the room mate.

Theepdinker

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe ANYONE would be stupid enough to steal a gun from soneone they know... Did his roommate not know that that was a federal offence and there is actually a branch of government quite concerned about such things.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The pawn shop shold make good on a refund, but I'm pretty sure they don't have to. At least gunshops in Indiana don't need to.

wwglen

Enlightened
The gun was checked through the systerm by the pawn shop as clean.

AFTER I bought it the Marine returned from IRAQ and his roomate told him it was stolen.

The police tracked it to the pawn shop and found out that the room mate had pawned it while his "buddy" was gone.

Will update after I turn in the rifle to the police today.

wwglen

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question: how do you enter into a police station with a rifle?

Thinking of doing that here gives me the creeps.

I mean, at least a couple of officers will notice it instantly and begin procedures before I can even talk or explain... (maybe I woke up a little paranoid today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Pablo

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Peu,
In the US or at least my part of Virginia, the police are not the the enemy of citizens. We generally get along fairly well.

What I would do is if I was asked to bring a rifle to a police station would be to place it in a locked case. Walk up to the dest sargent and ask for the officer working the case.

If I diden't have a case handy. I would leave the rifle in the car, and ask the desk sargent for the officer involved, and invite the officer out to the car to collect the weapon.

Virginia has reasonable gun laws, and our dealing with the police are fairly good. Not all countries enjoy a measure of trust between the population and it's cops.

The 'gun culture' here has an expression. "The difference between citizens and subjects". Citizens are trusted by the government, subjects are not.

Pick up a book if you can. It's called "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. It's about the gun culture.

For what it's worth, I shoot with a fun bunch, then we go out to dinner. Try www.irighti.org . If you can make it to Virgina some day, join us.

Later dude

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That really sucks. Now it's like the roommate stole from you as well as stealing from the soldier. Be sure to get the full name and address of the room mate and make him as uncomfortable as possible until you get your money. Start by asking him directly for payment before filing a suit in small claims court. If he says he doesn't have the money righ now, try to get him to hand you a post-dated check. If that bounces, you can have criminal forgery charges made against him.

I'd also go after the pawn shop. I think they owe you a full refund, but at a minimum I think they owe you a refund of their markup on the item.

lymph

Enlightened
That sucks.

Actually, I think my dad's roomate pawned some of his stuff while he was in the army for Vietnam. Darn roomies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif