Windows XP networking.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Does anybody know how to setup an Ad-Hoc network in WinXP SP2??!

It just ain't working.

Duncan

Newly Enlightened
If you mean through a wired router...

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is plug both computers into the router, then make some changes in WinXP. Generally all that's required is that you set both computers to be on the same workgroup (default is MSHOME I think but you can call it whatever), then boot up Windows and wait about 15 minutes to 30 minutes and see if it detects any computers. Generally, after a few reboots and a few prayers, it should see some computers. Then if you want to share resources (harddrive etc) what you need to do is setup two or more user accounts with the same username+password on each computer. Then share the drive giving permission to those users you want to allow access to.

That's the general steps I think...mind you it's been since Christmas since I've done one these, I don't manage my own network here at school. I'm sure if you search for "Windows XP SP2 networking guide" on Google you should find some good tips and tricks.

For wireless, install the drivers for the wireless modems plus any software and follow the instruction guide.

Cheers, Duncan

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i've set up wireless and wired networks with switches, hubs, and routers. WinXP SP2 is pretty much plug and play as far as that stuff goes (as opposed to plug-and-pray). for wireless, the netowrks are searched through a broadcast. i have to admit i've never set up one without a base station. but i dont think it will be mind boggling.

never set up an actual quickbooks server. but most current software takes care of everything. and the documentation is rarely more than a several paragraphs, cause it doensnt need to be.

i think that my apache HTTP server was the most mind scratching. and that was mostly fishing for the key things to change in the config file. since all the config is inside a text file. and it has no real GUI. so that was a good 30 mins.

good thing i already knew how to set up port forwarding and security on my router /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Darn it, I have been wanting the answer myself and thought Ryan was going to enlighten us. I want my wireless laptop to be able to print using the desktops printer.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
my MB actually has WiFi capability. so the pc itself is hard wired into a linksys router, and i have a second NIC card that's wireless in my wi-fi port. which allows the PC to act as a wireless hub. i have a printer i share over both networks connected to my PC.

Greta

Flashaholic
WOW!! How timely is this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I just bought a new desktop tonight and I'm sitting here with the new desktop and my laptop and trying to figure out what I'm going to try to transfer first and how and wondering if I should get a docking station for the laptop... or try to set up a network. Guess I'll go for the network! Sounds like something I can do... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this will help, but I'll describe what I have between my desktop and laptop: The desktop is plugged into a wireless router from the cable modem and the laptop runs the wireless card. I can access either one through the "local network."

After I had the wireless system up and running, I went through the control panel, then network and internet connnections. Setting up the connection was done through the wizard and was just step by step. When the wizard was done, I rebooted both computers, waited a minute or two and checked the "my network places" from the startup menu. From there I checked my settings to make sure that I could access my individual files (I'm currently running service pack 2 with all upgrades and seperate firewall). Once everything was set up, I could access whatever file I wanted and could use the printer from the livingroom.

Hope it helps somebody

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it's networking time. I am trying to link my wife's laptop she uses for work with my PC so she can access her office network through our DSL connection.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Saaby,
Can you describe what steps have you tried so far?
In general, for basic home networking (i.e. workgroups, not domains) it should go like this.
After two computers are hooked up to a router (they don't neccessarily need to be running XP, but say they are in this case), and turned on of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, either one should be showing both computer names when you go to Start/ My Network Places/ Entire Network. You may have to drill down through Microsoft Windows Network/ Workgroup, etc.
To keep things short (it's easy to find step by step instructions all over the web... start by going to microsoft.com), choose which folders on which drives you want to share on one or both machines. To do this, right click on any drive or folder and choose Sharing. You can set permissions and security on items or just leave everything wide open. If you have good protection from the outside, leaving permissions wide open is convenient, but is still one less layer of security.
For those who want to share printers over a home lan, the basics are:
First turn on printer sharing for the computer that is physically hooked up to the printer. Then go to a different computer, go to Start/ Printers and Faxes. Double click on Add Printer, go through each question the wizard asks and away you go. It should be able to detect the printer that is now hopefully showing on the network, and the printer driver will install itself from off the other machine.
Like mentioned, you can find all the detailed step by step info, but there's the basic concepts to help get things started in the right direction. This also works over wireless.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
If you guys want to share a DSL connection using a wireless router here's what i usually do:

1. Install the driver disk which is included in the wireless router package.
2. Plug in your wireless router (base station). Windows should then recognize the new hardware and will prompt you to set it up.
3. Set the wireless router and configure router channel, SSID, WEP encryption. WRITE DOWN all the info in a notebook for future reference.
4. Add the laptop or another computer using wireless hardware (wireless USB, wireless pci, wireless PCMCIA). Start by installing the drivers of the wireless device to the laptop/computer.
5. Plug in the device. The device will be recognized by the machine.
6. Set up the correct channel, ssid, WEP encryption etc.
7. The laptop/computer will recognize the base station and hopefully you will be connected.

To add a printer to the network:
1. Go to control panel>Printers
2. Open the printers folder and choose the printer to be shared.
3. Right click on the printer and select as shared.
4. Configure the computers who wish to share the printer and set it as default printer.

These are the basic steps but sometimes, depending on people's settings, one would have to teak further to set it up.