Cheap mod for 2C or 2D mag?

Donovan

Enlightened
I have scanned multiple articles about mag85's and mag60's etc. But whats the best cheap mod I can do with a 2D or 2C mag? Can I get a lot more light (I don't expect 800 lumens or anything, just noticeably brighter than stock) with just a bulb and/or battery change without replacing the reflector?

AW

Newly Enlightened
The cheapest mod I can think of is using a self-made 8XAA holder, swap the stock bulb with a 6 cell xenon star. The overdriven bulb is extremely white and bright on 8X 2000mAH NiMH, with a runtime of about 3 hours straight. No need to change the reflector or lens because the heat is manageable.

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

AW

Newly Enlightened
BTW, the complete cost for this mod is $15 for the Mag, $2 for the AA holders, $3 for the 6 cell bulb. Total $20
Result : It blows my 200 lumens TL3 incan away. To my untrained eyes, almost 2X brighter than my 130 lumens Surefire 9N.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
And of course in the 2C Mag you put in 3xCR123 batteries and a 5 or 6-cell bulb such as the Radio Shack KPR112 or KPR118.

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
BTW, the complete cost for this mod is $15 for the Mag, $2 for the AA holders, $3 for the 6 cell bulb. Total $20
Result : It blows my 200 lumens TL3 incan away. To my untrained eyes, almost 2X brighter than my 130 lumens Surefire 9N.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! Where did you get the battery holders?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapest mod would probably be to sputter the reflector. This will cost less than $1 and just requires clear acrylic paint and a plastic bag. This will improve the beam immensely! Do a search or I can repost directions.

On the 2C, the 3x123 with 3/4" PVC spacer driving either a KPR112 or KPR113 or 6 cell Xenon bulb is DEFINATELY worth your time. KPR118 will be less white and less bright but wil give longer runtime and bulb life. Batteries are $1 each from BatteryStation, PVC pipe is under $2 (you'll have enough to do 20+ conversions) and the bulbs are $1.50/2 at Home Depot or Walmart. This is roughly equal a Surefire P61 lamp but with much more throw. hardest part is sanding the exterior surface of the PVC pipe to fit in the Mag which takes about ~20 minutes.

My current favorite MAG is a 2C with the 3x123 + KPR112 and a sputtered reflector. I run the KPR112 bulb with a KPR118 in the tailcap in case the 112 blows.

On the 2D, you can take out the spring, remove the anodize from the bottom inside of the tailcap, cram 3 C cells in there and use some sort of metal spacer to maintain contact between the last cell and the tailcap. I use finish washers Then just use a 3 cell Krypton or Xenon bulb for equal brightness as a 3D but in the 2D housing.

Then come the AA to D adapter mods where the sky is the limit.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Donovan,

I believe Radio Shack or other electronics shops certainly will have the 4xAA holders available. They may even carry the 8XAA holders. To make them work, you still have to gut out the thing with a sharp knife or box cutter. That way the batteries will pack close to each other.

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
Cheapest mod would probably be to sputter the reflector. This will cost less than $1 and just requires clear acrylic paint and a plastic bag. This will improve the beam immensely! Do a search or I can repost directions.

On the 2C, the 3x123 with 3/4" PVC spacer driving either a KPR112 or KPR113 or 6 cell Xenon bulb is DEFINATELY worth your time. KPR118 will be less white and less bright but wil give longer runtime and bulb life. Batteries are $1 each from BatteryStation, PVC pipe is under $2 (you'll have enough to do 20+ conversions) and the bulbs are $1.50/2 at Home Depot or Walmart. This is roughly equal a Surefire P61 lamp but with much more throw. hardest part is sanding the exterior surface of the PVC pipe to fit in the Mag which takes about ~20 minutes.

My current favorite MAG is a 2C with the 3x123 + KPR112 and a sputtered reflector. I run the KPR112 bulb with a KPR118 in the tailcap in case the 112 blows.

On the 2D, you can take out the spring, remove the anodize from the bottom inside of the tailcap, cram 3 C cells in there and use some sort of metal spacer to maintain contact between the last cell and the tailcap. I use finish washers Then just use a 3 cell Krypton or Xenon bulb for equal brightness as a 3D but in the 2D housing.

Then come the AA to D adapter mods where the sky is the limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been wanting to "sputter" the reflectors on my mags and minimags (w ministar2 and MJLEDs) for a while. Especially after I purchased a Brinkmann Maxfire LX at Walmart and saw what a textured beam can do! It also made me interested in incan mods also!

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
When using 3x123 set-ups in a 2C Mag, don't forget the Reflectalite GH24 bulb. It's gotta be well over 200 lumens. It's definitely the hottest bulb for a 2C mod.

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lightedge said:
When using 3x123 set-ups in a 2C Mag, don't forget the Reflectalite GH24 bulb. It's gotta be well over 200 lumens. It's definitely the hottest bulb for a 2C mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Can you keep the stock reflector and lens?
2. Where can you buy it, how much?
3. Is it brighter than the Radio Shack KPR112?

farmall

Enlightened
Something I sugggest for the 123 x 2c set-up is useing 5/8" radiator hose to hold the batteries. Just cut it to length and cut it down the side then slip the cells in. It won't rattle either. You can buy it at any automotive store for around $1.00.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, it should be substantially brighter than the KPR112.

I don't recall a rock solid answer as to the number of lumens that KPR112 or 113 put out when overdriven with 9V, but my highly calibrated, super scientific WAG is that it's just over 120 lumens.

The GH24 is rated to put out 200 lumens when driven to 6V (only 2 123s) so I would guess at least 300 lumens on 3x123. I've never used one but several folks have stated that the GH24 is quite yellow when driven at spec. Keep in mind, this bulb run on 2x123s shouldn't melt the reflector or lens but on 3 123s, heat is going to be a problem. This is about the time we start looking at aluiminum reflectors and some sort of replacement lens such as the UCL from flashlightlens.com

Mike2004, I've built two of the 3x123 + KPR112s. I've never dropped either of them, but the first one I built is still on the 112 bulb I put in the day after I built it. Originally used a 113 bulb. I'm on the third set of batteries. And all three sets were 100% fresh SureFires. Again, I personally wouldn't rely on the 3x123 with 112 or 113 bulb as my only flashlight, but is far from horribly unreliable. For a similar light form factor, with 3x123 driving a KPR118, they bulb should last over 25 hours or as I suggested above, have the brighter and more overdriven 112 or 113 bulb actually installed and keep a 118 bulb in the tailcap in case the 112/113 blows.

Also, 3x123 is only 9 volts, not 12. You can also fit 4x123 in the 2C driving a KPR118 but I haven't tried that.

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
The cheapest mod I can think of is using a self-made 8XAA holder, swap the stock bulb with a 6 cell xenon star. The overdriven bulb is extremely white and bright on 8X 2000mAH NiMH, with a runtime of about 3 hours straight. No need to change the reflector or lens because the heat is manageable.

[/ QUOTE ]
This definitely sounds like the best bang for the buck for a 2D mag!
I assume this would be much brighter than the 2C 3xCR123 KPR112 mod???
What is the bulb part number I need? I'm guessing this is the regular 6-cell mag bulb?

davidra

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the 2C Mag mod. I have four and have given a number away. The KPR112 is fine; most of the time it will last quite a while, but occasionally will give out before one set of batteries do. Because I need a little more security, I've tried both the GH24 and Ikelite PcA bulbs which should provide much longer life. With a spare in the tailcap, I'm very comfortable. It absolutely startles people, and easily outthrows my SL TL3 Xenon, primarily because of the larger reflector. And it's ridiculously easy to do. I have upgrade all mine to borofloat lenses, and one to a Fivemega reflector, but I used them for some time with the stock lens and reflector, and never had a problem. I wouldn't run it for more than about ten minutes in that case, especially with the GH24 bulb. Just build it stock to begin with....you'll be hooked.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:

Also, 3x123 is only 9 volts, not 12. You can also fit 4x123 in the 2C driving a KPR118 but I haven't tried that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to to 8 x AA post second from the top by AW.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh... my bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've never personally had much luck with overdriving Xenons. I do want to get a couple 5 and 6 cell Kryptons to try with the 3x123 mod but that's only slight overdrive... I've tried 2 cell bulbs on 3 cells and 3 cell bulbs on 4 cells and none of them lasted more than about 2 seconds.

AW

Newly Enlightened
mike2004,

8XAA NiMH runs only 10.8V fully charged ( nominal at 1.2V each ). The 6 cell xenon bulb is not crazy overdriven and it does not flash in my case. In fact, the same bulb has been working for more than 10 hours with no problem.

Donovan,

The bulb is a Mag 6 cell Xenon bulb.

Donovan

Enlightened
What is the difference between the xenon and the krypton bulbs? Which one would be brighter? I have read that the krypton (for whatever reason) handles higher overvolting?

Can I find the "krypton" bulb at the same place I would find the normal bulb?

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
mike2004,

8XAA NiMH runs only 10.8V fully charged ( nominal at 1.2V each ). The 6 cell xenon bulb is not crazy overdriven and it does not flash in my case. In fact, the same bulb has been working for more than 10 hours with no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see, the 8 AA's (radio shack alkalines) I have read 12.75v on my DMM when in that battery holder and I can't cut it down enough to where it will fit into the Mag body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif