Opinions on Canon PowerShot SD300

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, the Canon PowerShot SD300 seems to have everything I want. Good photos, good video capability, and very small. The camera I have now is a Fujifilm Finepix2600z and I have been very happy with the photos, but I want something smaller that takes better video.

So does anyone have experience with this camera? Any negative opinions?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
have ya looked at that new sony its very very small yet has a huge lcd.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, this looks like my new camera. Now to search for a good price.

When I was initially searching, the movie on dcresource.com was what finally won me over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that is an excellent camera. It does everything my s500 does and then some, it's even smaller. WOW!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If it's anything like my old S110, and I'm sure it's that and more, you'll love it. While I like all the features in my new Sony V1, I really miss having the pocketability of the little Canon. And you can't beat Canon optics.

Geoff

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
I owned the S110 for 4 years and loved it - but it was too large and quite heavy.

You may consider looking at the SD10 before making your decision. The SD10 is much smaller and lighter with 4 megapixel resolution. I does not have a viewfinder or optical zoom, but do you really use those features anyway - I don't.

The SD10 is the fire~fly of digital cameras - Powerfull and pocketable.

Brento

Newly Enlightened
another good place i frequent is dpreview their forums are pretty good too.

i bought the sd300 after reading about all the problems with purple fringing and soft corners i decided i could live with it and to me it's not that bad since i'm not a stickler for sharpest of pictures. but for the size i can carry it in my pocket without even knowing it is there. plus the screen size is nice at 2".

i would rather have an okay picture with the soft corners than no pictures at all.

i'm also planning on getting a digital SLR when i want the best pictures.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read a lot about the Sd300 mostly from the forums at www.dpreview.com which has already been posted here and in which I consider the forum posters to be the most knowledgeable. The SD300 with the digic2 processor is quite zippy in operation, faster then previous elph cameras. However there is a general consensus of a problem with sharpness, particularly at the corners. I've seen samples and to me, it's usually quite evident. The elph 4 meg predecessors such as the S410 and the S400 which I have, most definitely have better photo quality. If my S400 died today, I would look to replace it with another either new or used S400 or S410 rather then accept lesser picture quality even if the speed of operation was faster, of the SD300.

DBrier

Enlightened
I have been researching for months trying to decide what pocketable digital camera to get my wife. It came down to the Canon SD300 and Casio EX Z55 .
I will get the SD300, but the Z55 is a great camera too. The SD300 takes much better movies and is a hair smaller, but it gives up battery life and screen size compared to the Z55. I already have a Casio P600 for nicer pictures.
Take a look at the Casio it has some very nice features, and for a few dollars less, you can get the Z50. The battery life on the Casios is amazing.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nitroz said:
I would say that is an excellent camera. It does everything my s500 does and then some, it's even smaller. WOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitroz
Not to hijack...I also have the S500 (love it) ---- those pelican 1010 cases that battery station sells as a package with 15 x cr123's fit the S500 camera (maybe others too) almost perfectly, if you want a good cheap case....

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nobody said:

those pelican 1010 cases that battery station sells as a package with 15 x cr123's fit the S500 camera (maybe others too) almost perfectly, if you want a good cheap case....

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOHHHH!!! That's good to know! Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DBrier said:
I ordered my SD300 this weekend.
This might help your decision making process.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=871720&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
See my post in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but I have a good printer, by the way I see the SD300 for just over $300 shipped at some places. Just be sure they aren't trying to sell you the SD200 by mistake!! Also lookup the name of the site you buy it on Google before you do buisness to see if there are any complaints about it.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nobody said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nitroz said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitroz
Not to hijack...I also have the S500 (love it) ---- those pelican 1010 cases that battery station sells as a package with 15 x cr123's fit the S500 camera (maybe others too) almost perfectly, if you want a good cheap case....

[/ QUOTE ]
What is a pelican 1010 case? Do you have a link?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 1010 Also known as the Otterbox 1010. Interior Demensions: 4 7/16" Length x 2 15/16" Width x 1 11/16" Depth

Can anyone confirm that the SD300 would fit in an Otterbox 1000? I got a few of those.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, just bought one from here for $316 shipped. I'll take comparison shots when I get it with my old Fuji camera and then the Fuji will go on sale here if I like what I see.