Future Generations of Flashaholics

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
OK, I have been sitting on this story for over 2 months now (yes, I am the world's biggest procrastinator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ), so I figure that I better tell it before I forget it. A friend of mine has a daughter who celebrated her second birthday on Dec. 4th. Many of his relatives and friends (myself included) showed up with gifts for the young lady. I got her one of those Dancing Elmo dolls, and a Brinkmann Rebel LED 2 AA. Guess what she didn't put down, and played with all evening, even while watching Monster's Inc. on DVD? That's right, the Rebel LED. In addition to Elmo, she received many other stuffed toys that did things that a child is supposed to find interesting, but it seems that she preferred the flashlight to them all!! This makes me wonder, is flashaholism just innate in some of us, or can it be sparked by exposure at an early age? Wouldn't it be worth getting some young children that you are acquainted with a flashlight as a gift, (with their parents' approval, of course) just to ensure that there are future generations of flashaholics that will revere our Lionhearts, Beasts, USLs, ARCs, etc. after we are gone? Just some food for thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You think kids like flashlights, try giving them a gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

watt4

Enlightened
besides the awesome coolness of making a spot of light move all over and up and down, this might have been the first time the kid could affect something outside her reach.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I blame my Dad for this horrbile disease of flashaholicism.

When I was 13 (2 yars ago) he just showed up one day from work with a Blue 2AA Minimag with holster and batteries new in it's package. That day I opened it turned it on and played with it for a long time. I remember I used to love it when I got a chance to really use the light. I then went to the Maglite website and found out they had other lights. I was excited. A week later I bought a 2D Mag.

Last year I found this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

and now I have lots of lights.

I still have the Blue Minimag my dad gave me.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think that even before birth, light is one of the things that people can really feel. My uncle is blind and he can still sense light, and while flashlights don't really do him any good he still enjoys the concepts of electricity and LEDs in particular.

Plus, it's also good to introduce children to tools that they can use to make things easier for them to do. There are toy versions of most every tool, mainly because you don't want junior running around with a real hammer smacking on things. A real flashlight, though, should be pretty hardy and difficult for them to break, especially with LEDs. Once they're not so tempted to eat anything they can fit in their mouth, it's a great toy and tool.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandaughter was two when I gave her her first light and her reaction was just as you described. Anytime I pull out a light, she wants it and will play with it endlessly in spite of whatever else she was doing.

I did alot thinking about what light to give her and decided on an orginal CMG Infinity. I was very concerned about brightness because one of things she would do is to shine it in her eyes and I didn't want a bright light to damage her vision. The other factors were it was big enough not to be a choking problem, practically indestructible, long lasting as to not to have to worry about feeding it and if she did leave it on, it could be fed with a 20¢ cell. It was difficult for her to turn on and off, which was good, because it meant that an adult was monitoring it.

Almost every occasion, I give the kids lights (Dorcy AAAs, light sticks - different colors for different holidays, Blink Blinks (LED suckers), coin lights to put on as zipper pulls, larger animal lights that also make sounds, etc. To make sure that they're used and not discouraged by the parents, I also give spare cells. They're always a hit. Xmas before last when I gave the kids the Dorcy AAAs, the adults were playing with them after dinner.

I just got the Costco squeeze light for my grandaughter, but I'm afraid that it might be too big her to use. I'll find out tomorrow night.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pulling in my brothers into this whole flashlight thing... It is truely adictive.. Just doesnt have the sideaffect of cancer like smoking. You just get REALLY REALLY POOR!

-tom

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. You all had interesting perspectives.

watt4: I never considered that. I just assumed that it was the same as my love for a cheap plastic flashlight (that had an orange filter) that I had when I was a kid.

We all agree that giving children flashlights, when they are old enough to not try to swallow them or chew on them, couldn't hurt, though, right?