Inova X5T Help

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

Im wondering if anyone has any pictures they can post up or link me to that will show the beam shot of this light in say someones back yard so I can get an idea on how bright the flood is and the range.
Im very interested in this light because of its run time and I like flood beams.
Right now all I have is a cmg ultra infinity that I bought two years ago from county comm which has been great but was looking for something brighter with more range.
Plus the price tag for the x5t is great also, I found it for 26.99 which seems like a great price from L.A Police gear.
Thank you for any help you could give.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need a nice review, look Here.
The reviewer is very experienced and is known as "QuickBeam" here. Hes a moderator too. Do you need a more detailed beamshot?

jtice

Flashaholic
Heres some pics of the light itself..
http://www.jtice.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=X5T

Beamshots (sorry couldnt find outdoor ones)
http://darkgear.com/beams/
http://www.jtice.com/bsdb/images/beam_x5t_reactor3_etc_jpg_jpg.jpg
http://www.jtice.com/bsdb/images/beam_reactor3_x5t_l1_jpg_jpg.jpg

The X5T doesn have much throw at all, its for medium to close work.
Though, in a total dark room, with night adapted eyes, it will do a great job of lighting an entire room.

They are built like a TANK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And will drain a pair of 123s really low. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (its non regulated)

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
Im just looking for a outside beam shot as thats where I would use the light most, Im out at night working and was in hopes of finding an outside beam shot so I know what to expect.
Thanks a bunch

jtice

Flashaholic
if used mainly outside (unless in the middle of the dark woods) i would personally, want something with more throw.

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
jtice,

cant thank you enough, thats exactly what I was looking for, I greatly appreciate you help.
Thanks guys,
Ryan

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I love the X5T, but it is a total flood light with basically zero throw. The lowly MiniMag as nearly ten times the throw! Using it in ambient light is going to further reduce it's ability to light anything up from a distance.

If you're wanting a backyard light, I really can't recommend the X5T. If you want one of thebest relatively small flood light in a neat as all heck packagte that is incredibly strong, the X5T is perfect.

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FEATHERSTONE said:
I found it for 26.99 which seems like a great price from L.A Police gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried purchasing a SF G2 from LA Police Gear. I kept asking them when it would ship, but did not get a reply for more than a week. Finally, I found out that the item was backordered; they had charged me for the amount anyway. I wrote a few emails, demanding a refund. I think a merchant should not charge a customer until an item is shipped.

I even tried calling their office in some small town in California. Directory assistance (411) had no record of the store in the town they claimed to be based in.

They finally issued a refund, but I've sworn off purchasing from them because of this whole experience.

This was a year ago. Maybe their customer service has improved.

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
What im looking for is some distance with alot of flood say 15-20 feet of decent visiblity, Ive been using my cmg ultra and it just isnt bright enough, but great for using to go to the head without waking up the girlfriend by hitting the lights, god knows ive been swung at more then once for doing that LOL.

I was using the mini mag for a few years, but the bulbs just die way to fast when used and dropped.

Im in need for a light that will light up the back of a pick up trucks bed with good light and to help pick up trucks back up in tight places at night by spotting objects they might run into.
Plus a light for use on trails when camping when I have to be the poor sucker who has to go out and find the wood for the fire LOL.

It sounds like the X5T is what im looking for, long run time, good flood. and durable.
I am open to suggestions if you guys know of any other lights.
Thanks again

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
tb2776,

By any chance do you remeber that small town's name?? Its funny that you said this as I emailed them awhile back and they said they didnt have a walk in store, made me think it was some guy working out of his house.
I asked because I live in the L.A area and instead of paying shipping and handling I would just go there, but that didnt happen for reasons above.
Thanks for the heads up.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, compaired to an Ultra you're going to have a little more light. Maybe an LED conversion for your minimag would be a good idea, too. A terralux ministar would be nice for a good combo of runtime and output. Or a sammie, if you're wanting more light than runtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took my X5T-HA into the backyard of the house that I am house sitting. I walked it off at 28 feet wide by 15 feet. There is some ambiant light but nothing direct. There was like a one teeny tiny bit of difference from beyond about 5 feet. If you dropped something in the corner, then sure, you could down there and probably find it with the X5T. And if there are reflective raccoon eyes or somesuch, then the X5T will reflect them.

The X5T is good at lighting up a very dark room with minimal ambient light. It can even do a decent job of lighting up a 22x25 garage that is completely dark but it's just not the best tool for lighting a backyard that has ANY ambient light.

For a bit more money but radically better output if you don't need it to fit in a pocket would be the Elektrolumens FT-3C with a reflector. VERY hot spot, nice spill beam. One sweep across a backyard that is less than 100x100 feet would probably show if anything was there that wasn't supposed to be.

They run $50. They normall come with an optic that creats a very defined spot with little spill. I'm not sure if he charges more if you opt for the reflector vs the optic. Runs on 3 C. This is a Lux III light.

Or if you like the general Inova package, you might look into either the X0 or the T2. They both are about an inch longer than the X5T and a bit bigger around but very similar. The only difference is the X0 is shaped like the X5T while the T2 has a cross-hatch type pattern on the shaft. The T2 has a clickie type switch while the X0 has an X5T-like temp on tail cap or twist down for constant on. Both run about 4 hours on 2 123s. The TIROS optic is quite ringy when shined on a wall but in acutal use - esp outdoors - is basically seems like a well defined hot spot with uneven spill.

Another plus is X5Ts can be very blue or blue with green artifacts. Inova and Elektrolumens consistantly use very white Luxeons in their lights.

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
The streamlight looks like a good option, my only problem with the sure fire is run time, I would probably use about 6 batteries a week LOL, That could get expensive after awhile.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
If you're going to use your lights that much, you might want to think about using rechargeable batteries.

The Streamlight Junior Luxeon works great with rechargeable batteries.

J.S. Burly's sells Pila rechargeable batteries and Pila lights. There is a Pila lamp that is for use in a G2 with a Pila 168S battery.

edit: BatteryStation CPF Special page has 123 batteries for $1. They also have surefire G2s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pics that might help you out.

Pics were taken in my totally dark room: Lights set 10 feet from the wall.
All shots set on smae setting: Nikon 5700 Aperture: 4.5 Exposure 1 sec.

arcaaasmaller2bs.jpg

Arc AAA

cmgultrasmall1aw.jpg

Ultra-G

inovax5thasmall1fa.jpg

Inova X5T-HA

arclshsmall9pc.jpg

ARC LSH

sharperimagesmall7ui.jpg

Sharper Image 1watt Luxeon

sfkl1onvgfb1small6mg.jpg

Surefire KL1 (4th Gen)on Vital Gear FB1 Body

inovax03small0nl.jpg

Inova XO3

lightssmall1fz.jpg

The Suspects: Arc-AAA, Ultra-g, ARC-LSH, KL1/FB1, Sharper Image, Inova X5T-HA, Inova XO3

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FEATHERSTONE said:
tb2776,

By any chance do you remeber that small town's name??

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Featherstone, I don't. But if you hunt around on their Web site, maybe in the 'Return Policy' section, you might find something there. Good luck. If they've improved their service, let us know. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Cheers!

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
DanDrop thanks for the beam shots, greatly appreciate it.

tb2776,
looks like they have a sister company in Castaic which is a small town..hmmmm

What do you folks think about the xm-3? this looks like a handy little light that is like a mini mag but stronger that will last much longer.
Any idea on the price of the xm-3? I looked at there web page but couldnt find a price.
Thanks again to all you good folks for your help in me searching for a light....

Ryan