Please help me decide on my Surefire

cia

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide on my next Surefire.

These are the Surefire's I have or have had.

Surefire G2,6P,9P,C2,E2E,E2o,E1e,KL1 older and newest style,L4 w/McE2S,L1 old style.

I have a new style L1 in the mail.

I'm thinking of trying a Surefire L2 or A2 for my next one.

I just got a Streamlight 1l twin task light and having the led and lamp in th same light is very handy.

So I was thinking of maybe giving a Surefire A2 a try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But then the L2 looks preat cool too.

So please help me decide what my next Surefire should be.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends on your needs. Do you need very little light for very close activities at night or preserve night-vision?

Or do you need a light with a medium amount of light and a high level for a high amount?

-tom

cia

Newly Enlightened
What type of light I need really depends on what I'm doing.
I use a light for close up repair type work, fishing and camping.

All the lights I have now do cover all my light needs.
It's just more or less wanting to try a light I have yet to play around with just to see what it's like.

The A2 would be unlike any surefire I have used.

The L2 maybe close to L4/L1 type of light, not sure as I have not used or seen one.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
DONT GET THE A2. All it is is the 6P (but regulated) with 3 5mm LEDs. Get a Pelican M6 lux III. Or get a longbow. As for Surefire, go with U2, but its too expensive for me.

-David

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The A2 on high has more throw and it's dimmer on low than the L2. I think of it as having throw and flood.

The L2 gives you 8 hours of regulated light on low and is about as bright as a 1 watt Luxeon. It's a little dimmer than a 1 watt BadBoy400 with a Mcflood. It would have a different beam pattern than your old style KL1, but would serve for the same use. I find this level of light works for 90% of my needs. YMMV I think the strong point of the L2 is it's low beam. The L2 on high is a little brighter than the L4, but you would have to do a ceiling bounce test or use a light meter to see the difference. The beams of the L4 and L2 on high are the same.

I have both and I prefer the A2 with white LEDs.

Tigerotor77W

Newly Enlightened
I think the A2 is a great light for certain purposes... if you're not into throw, well, it might not be for you. It has quite a bit of throw (and is also just plain bright), but the likes of the L2 and L4 can out-shine it if you're trying to flood an area. I still think the A2 is the best light for me, but the L4 might be one you may want to take a look at.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like I'm stalking scudinc and just keep saying, 'Yeah, what he said!'

I think the L1, L2, A2 and U2 are all very neat lights. Pricey, but neat. The incand setting on the A2 has a lot more throw than the L2, but the L2 puts out even more light on the high setting than the A2 incand.

And the A2 is a bit shorter than the L2.

Personally, I'd get the L2 but with as many Surefire's as you've owned, you KNOW you'll end up with both an A2 and an L2 eventually!

redcar

Enlightened
Probably ended up repeating much of the above...

If you take walks at night get the L2. Nice light on low to walk by and high for 'whatz-that?'. Or if you like flood. Also makes a good work light for checking the oil, changing spark plugs (real life example, ran out of sunlight) on low with more than decent run time(8hrs).

If you like throw, get the A2. It throws pretty good and has a fairly nice, albeit dim spill. On low it maybe a little dim for walking outside in the city, but perfect for walking around the house or campsite. Also a nice wide flood for close up work like dip switches, reading or writing. Long run time on low(18hrs), short runtime on high. Nice light for the car to read maps, GPS, cell, two-way, then high to light up street signs or house numbers. If you want to light up some woodsy critters, fox, rabbit, farm stock, that are red, tan, or brown, get the A2. The incan works better for that than a LED.

I have both, and can't decided myself which to use from day to day - whoops, sorry, night to night. I love the how the lanyard works on them both, I use that all the time.

I would rather have the batteries run out on me with the L2 than the A2. When I need/want 50 lumens and all I get is 3 or 4, it is a little disappointing, not so bad with 15 lumens and expecting 65 or 100 or whatever.

My L2 on low is not as bright as any of the 3 L1's on high. So my L2 is not quite 15 lumens, or my L1's are brighter.

I feel a little differently than cheapo about the A2 just being a 6P. The 6P maybe a little brighter initially than the A2, but with it being a regulated incan, it is nice and bright and white all the way to the end. No question on when to change the batteries and worrying about hurting a bulb by using it on too low a voltage. Just don't like not having much warning. I guess I want it all.

Both lights will probably only give about 50 minutes or so on high.

Sorry I can't give a firm recommendation as I don't know what to use myself. I like them both and would be happy to own either one solely.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6 with high output lamp. Since you already have or had a variety of one, two and three cell lights, go for something brighter. The M3/T and the M4 (with high output lamps) are also great lights, but nothing compares to the M6. Of course the ultimate is the Beast, but that's something else altogether.

haley1

Enlightened
Sell the car get a Beast. Failing that the A2 is a great light for almost everything, for what I use it for anyway. The Beast sure would be cool though.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it is worth, I am holding out for a light that does what the A2 does -- bright white thrower/dim red flood -- but in all-LED. I just don't trust incans.

I would get the L2 and see what comes up later to fill the "A2" role.

Scott