PT Matrix LED module woes.

Darkaway

Enlightened
PT Matrix LED module woes.

I'm a newbie that linked here from a backpacking forum and now I'm hooked. You guys are great and much more civil toward one another than those on some other forums. I think the "addiction" had been lying dormant in my subconscious and it took this forun to bring it out.

In the few months since I stumbled upon this site I have bought an arc AAA and SLS,E1e/KL1,G2,Scorpion,Infinity Ultra,Reactor,SL Septor and Clipmate,BB500,PT 20,40,Impact and many Wal-Mart cheapies. Many more to come..........

Here's my question. My PT Matrix module's performance is disappointing to say the least
frown.gif
. Is there any way to tweak it for more brightness? I'm more concerned with intensity than runtime. There is a site elsewhere that shows an adjustable pot on the unit but mine has no such animal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PT Matrix LED module woes.

I don't think you can unless you have the older style with the pot.

Personally, I would use a Luxeon star. I've driven white side emitters at 100ma or less and they still blow the Matrix right out of the water, and have several times the throw.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Matrix Module is not designed for brightness. It is designed for regulated light level of up to 40 hours on 2 alkaline AAs and 100+ hours on 2 Lithium AAs. It is meant for walking, not picking things out at a distance.

The Versalux PR-2 LED bulb is actually brighter and only 1 LED. However, it is alkalines only.

The Matrix headlamp itself, comes with both the Matrix Module and the incandescant module w/smooth reflector for bright and longer throw.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
The Matrix Module is not designed for brightness...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think PT certainly accomplished that design goal.
grin.gif

But as a general statement, for low light level output, I've been weening myself away from 5mm LEDs in favor of undriven Luxeons. There's a huge amount of light "wasted" by 5mm LEDs, because they throw light at angles greater than your peripheral vision. This doesn't seem like a lot of light, but it's spread over a huge area (or solid angle to be more correct). I find it really adds up.

Of course, if you do actually want a flood or area light type beam, 5mm LEDs may still be the way to go. But I find for a headlamp, an LS with reflector gives a wide enough angle cone, and also lets me see much further. It just plain throws the light more forward, which is where I want it (or at least most of it).

Illuminated

Enlightened

Charles,

Off-topic for just a second...Smooth reflector with the Matrix? Mine came with the textured one...

John

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to brightguy site, it comes with the narrow (smooth). Maybe PT changed things.

I already had the Solo, so I bought the Module from brightguy, and the Versalux from Technology Associates.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened

The regulator in the matrix is running close to the max spec. So any type of modification is unlikely to make it very much brighter.
Did u try the BlackDiamond MoonLight? My matrix goes to the drawer after I get the MoonLight. It's lighter and way brighter. I also have the petzl micro, petzl Duo LED, petzl mega, streamlight trident, and a cheapy tikka clone. For backpacking, I like the moonlight best.