I need help with the L1

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I was all set to buy the L1 and now I see Surefire has a new version with optics like the KL1. What I would like to know is how is the beam with the current style L1? Is it more of a flood? I don't know if I should hold off and get the newest version and who knows how long it will take to get one. Help me out.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest version is more of a tight spot with very little to no side spill. Before that there are 2 main versions of the L1. The first is a Low Dome Lux, which had tint problems. The second was a High Dome Lux with a little more throw than the LD and less tint variation, but a distinct beam pattern. The third is the newest one that uses the same optic as the 4th gen KL1 with a very tight spot. Personally, for general use I like the HD L1s, or one with an upgraded (aftermarket) LED. Hope this helps.

-Mike

cia

Newly Enlightened
I just got a L1 in the mail today and the bezel is just like the newest KL1.

Very bright and very tight spot.
I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that they would change the character of the L1 so much with the new bezel. The L1 HD, which I have has a lot of spill. If its now a tight spot like the KL1, some people might find it a less useful utility light - I know I would.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the new L1 has a Tiros type optic in it like the new KL1, I'm very happy that I have the previous HD L1 which has a great balance of moderate spill and a nice bright hotspot. I would not like it to have a beam like my KL1. It would make it less useful to me, and as it is, my L1 is my most used light.

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sbebenelli said:
cia, where did you get it from?

[/ QUOTE ]

PM sent with dealer info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also did not care all that much for the new KL1/e2e I had.
It was not as white as I had wanted (compared to my L4) but the LED in the Surefire L1 is very "white" and has such a bright hot looking center.

The low level on the l1 with little side spill was great in the car tonight. I can spot light something in the car on low without blinding everyone.

I like the KL1 with LuxIII bezel on the L1 much better then I liked the new style KL1 on the E2e.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just called SF Customer Service and spoke to Summer and asked her if they had ANY L1's in stock with the TIR type optic in ANY color LED.

Answer: None.

I got this same answer when I called 2 months ago./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif