another newbie needs advice

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPFers, I've gone through some of the threads but would like to get some direct input.

I'm looking for a light for some nighttime bird/nature spotting on foreign trips, mainly in the tropics. Looking for the best compromise in size, $, power, and ease of use outside the USA. I have a PT Surge, but I'd like something with more oomph (throw and output). Some of my desires are:

- as much light (and throw) as possible
- hopefully no more than $150
- not bulky (bigger than Surge is OK, just don't want the equivalent of 3 bricks)
- easy to transport to and reliable for use in remote areas
- at least one hour runtime, 2 hrs or more is better

Was hoping to find something that runs off alkalines, but that doesn't appear likely. If I have to use rechargeables, I need a light that I can use removable batt packs with. Quite often I'm at locations with weird (50hz and/or 230v) unreliable, little or no electricity.

Something with the output of the typical 12 vdc discount store 500k to 1 Million CP spotlight would be nice, but maybe unrealistic. It appears that the rechargeable versions of these don't have removable battery packs. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but I'm afraid of a fully charged light coming on in an airplane hold and causing a fire.

From other threads I figure I may be looking for one of these: Tiger Light, Ultrastinger, MagCharger, or UK SL6. Any opinions on which of these has the best throw?

I've seen references to 8-inch and 11-inch Tigers, but it now appears they only have one model available.

I can do some light mods such as substituting parts, but not up for a metal shop project.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bill

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, birderbill:

Welcome to CPF. I've never tried the Tigerlight (read great things about them though) and the Magcharger, so can't talk about those lights, but I can comment a little on my on experiences with a few other lights. Please keep in mind that I have no experience with bird watching (except in a bird park!), so my opinions may not mean much.

The Surge is a great light for its size, weight, and affordability. The Surge provides a good combinations of flood and reach(throw)--I think of it as a great all-around light for everyday use. There have been numerous reports of bulb failures though.

The UKE SL6 on the other hand, has more reach, but because it uses six C batteries, can be rather heavy over time. Also, if you carry spare batteries (I would), it can become even more cumbersome. If traveling, I would also take along at least a couple of spare bulbs. Both the Surge and the SL6 have wrist lanyards, which are better than nothing, but I prefer longer lanyards that give you the option to carry the light "hands free" around your neck.

The Streamlight Ultrastinger is a great light with lots of reach and is rechargeable, but is rather long. If you're thinking about Streamlight however, you may also want to consider the Stinger HP. There is less overall light output than the Ultrastinger, but I find that my HP actually "out reaches" the Ultra. Another feature of the Streamlight series, is that the beam is "adjustable." Keep in mind however, that when you adjust the light for more of a flood pattern, the beam will have dark spots. Perhaps another plus for the HP when traveling, is that the charger can charge the light and an extra battery at the same time (charge both at night, and in the morning, you're set to go with twice the run time). Besides the charger, I would also take along some spare bulbs. The downwside of the Ultra and HP, are that they do not have lanyards (as far as I know). However, the HP should work well in a belt holster--the Ultra may be a little too long for comfort.

My choice for a light with a combination of reach and output, would be a SureFire(SF) M3T or M4. I don't know what current prices are, but they are probably more than you want to spend, especially since you should also get the beam shaper/diffuser(for a flood beam). The SF lights offer just about "perfect" beams, plus a range of options for more versatility--the high output lamps are great, but you trade off run time for brightness. These lights use three and four 123 lithium batteries respectively, which can also get quite expensive, but SF sells them off their web site for "only" $1.25 each in boxes of a dozen (retails in stores for about $5+- each). Due to the small size and light weight of lithium 123 batteries however, taking extra batteries should be easy enough (especially if compared to alkaline C batteries). In addition to spare batteries, it would be wise to take spare bulbs with you (although SF bulbs are supposedly fairly rugged). SF lights come with great, adjustable neck lanyards, and/or the lights can also be carried in a belt holster. CAVEAT: if you fly to your destinations, check with your specific airline(s) to see if they allow you to carry extra lithium batteries. Someone who works for an airline recently told me that "bulk" lithium batteries are prohibited (on that specific airline, anyway), and may/will be confiscated, even in checked luggage. I don't know how many spare batteries would be considered "bulk."

Throwing yet more options into the mix, you might also want to consider an LED light. Two advantages of LED lights, are the durability of the "bulb" (no need to carry spares), and the white color of the light. The white light is great for illuminating a bird's "true" colors, and I believe you generally get a longer run time on a set of batteries (please double check). The down side of the LED lights, is that generally speaking, they usually do not have the reach of their incandescent counterparts. You might want to check the "mod" section of this board, where some of CPF's most talented members have been doing amazing things with reach and output of "modified" lights that you will not find(yet) from known manufacturers.

Last but not least, perhaps you already know this, but if traveling, I would always have a back-up light or lights with me. At the very minimum, I would always have on/with me, at least two Photon key chain lights, perhaps one Photon Freedom, and one Photon II covert. Very, very useful for a multitude of tasks, including changing out the batteries in your main light. There are a number of other small LED lights that might work just as well, or even better (depending on your use/needs).

I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you now...but I expect that other, more knowledgeable members will contribute here.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, regarding spotlights. Yes, they can be very bright, but in my opinion, they would fall into the "3 bricks" or heavier category, and also tend to be quite large.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the magcharger and it has very good throw, better than the US (although if you are taking pics, the artifacts of the beam could be an issue). From what I've read, the Tiger has very good throw too, but it runs an hour, versus 2 for the Magcharger. US is long, but relatively light and easy to carry. The Mag is pretty heavy and bulky.

Eh, overall, just because of the 2 hour run time the Mag is hard to beat for praticality and also durability.

LEDs will not give a good throw, although the flood is nice.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

Welcome to CPF.

You might also consider the SL4. It has the same pencil beam as the SL6, but is less bulky. I use one while kayaking and have spotted birds and sea life at medium distances after dark. If you don't mind the bulk, the SL6 is brighter.

I think the Mag Charger would be the best choice in a rechargeable light. It can be focused to a very tight beam.

The SL6 (and SL4) are dive lights and should handle high humidity without problems. The Mag Charger is splash resistant.

Tom

InFlux

Enlightened
If you don't mind the size, I would recommend a Mag Light modified with a 3 watt LED. It's super durable, has great throw and long run time. Also, it doesn't look like an exotic light that might attract attention.

Most use Alkaline or Rechargable D's (or AA's with an adapter) or lithium 123's- depending on the configuration you choose.

There are several CPF'ers who make and sell these ready to go, or you can buy the parts and build it yourself. Just takes a search through old threads- or keep an eye in the B/S/T forums.

If you want to buy one ready (or custom) made, I have had excellent dealings with 3rd Shift Lights (I've got 2!).

Good luck!

B

Birmingham47

Hi Bill,
Take a look at the Surfire L4. It has a 5 watt LED that doesn't need replacing and throws about 65 lumens. It Runs on 2 CR123 batteries. I'd recommend buying a box from surefire ($15.00). I believe it weighs a little over 3 oz w/ batteries and is a little over 5" long. Runs for 2.5 hours. So, you take an L4 loaded with batteries and lets say 4 extra to last you through the night and your packing about 5 oz on your treck. Most places sell the L4 for around $155-$160 so your just a touch over your target, but you get what you pay for. Take care.

Andy

sniper

Enlightened
Bill:

Welcome to the forum. It is a good place to be. Regarding your after hours (birding and nature observation) activities:

Even if you are going by yourself, it might be a good idea to engage a local guide or go with a group, whose minders may be able to provide the necessary equipment for your full enjoyment, and ideally, will keep any and all in their care from running afoul of the law.

If you are going alone, best obtain accurate information regarding the outlook of local law enforcement about night time spotting. "Hey, man, I was just LOOKING!" may not be very convincing in Outer ChumbaWumba.

The common wisdom among local jacklighters that a red filter disturbs the animals less. Sone say that green will do the same thing. Of course, that will seriously cut down available light and range.

I agree with the member that suggested a Mag Light. Low profile is best, and a 3C or 3D mod or stock light with a Xenon bulb is very bright, has good run time, uses batteries that are more or less available everywhere, is low profile, especially if it looks a bit "travelled" and can be used effectively as a self-defense tool.

On the down side, it is a bit heavy, although not in the "three brick" category. With all the other stuff you'll be carrying, it may be a bit much. Whatever you decide,be safe, and enjoy yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming if you can.

Does a 3-5w LED have the same throw as incandescents?

Just to clarify some stuff...I have a 3D Mag. The MagCharger is the same size. For me this is not too big, although I wouldn't want anything longer. I could probably deal with something as large as a 8D dive light. But these usually have a plastic handle and I'm not sure they would survived the baggage handling gorrilas.

I consider somthing like a Maxabeam as too big (as well as too expensive!)

Raybo

Enlightened
I would have to agree with anyone that suggested a Lux/M*g mod, throw is awesome and I love the color of the beam.

scudinc

Enlightened
You need an incandescent, definitely. A Luxeon just can't give the same kind of throw. I'm running a 200 lumen Pelican Big D alkaline bulb in a Mag 2D with 8 alkaline AAs, and this thing has obscene throw. I'm not sure about runtime, but it will crush a Surge and even a Stinger's throw. See this thread for info regarding the construction of the battery holders.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
birderbill,

Output, runtime, size --- pick any two. You will be sacrificing one of these characteristics for what you seem to be asking for. But for something to top your PT Surge in output, and have longer runtime while using regular alkalines, and not too much bigger than the surge; then try the UK light cannon at this review. Craig also has a review under "HID Flashlights" here
You might be able to pick one up on ebay or something for about your $150 price range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif