All children like flashlights.... Bad for me

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently understood the fact that pretty much every young child in the world has interest in a flashlight. I mean, isnt it fun to turn something on and have the satisfaction of seeing somthing light up in the dark? What if my interest is the same as every other kid's? Its a horrible thought for me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Do you think my liking for lights is the same as many million other kids around the world?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly doubt it. I love lights, but every single one of my friends thinks it's stupid that I buy so many.

I definitly don't think your hobby is THAT common. If it was, I think CPF would be A LOT bigger. If some kid you know gets a light and is all proud of it, I say you show him what a real flashaholic is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
Children are naturally curious, but i think your case trancends the 'average' kid's fascination of flashlights. I meant that in a good way of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My nephew, 10 years old saw my flashlights and he was drawn to it like moth to the flame. He wanted my Arc LSH, but even if wanted to give it to him, i didn't because he is at an age where he still does not see the full value of it. I did not want him to easily lose my Arc. Maybe on his 12th birthday i'll give it as a present. Maybe i'll start him off with an ultra-g or sharper image lux light...hehehe

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
(by that I mean blind the H*** of them until they realize that you are a true flashaholic) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
My friend's Dad used to work for Maglite and I remember my friend would always say that Maglites are the best flashlight in the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

I got sick of it one day and took some real lights over to his house. I have a limmited collection, but everything I had blew away any of his Mags. I've never heard a peep about Maglites since.
I think a lot of people like flashlights a lot but are limited to Mags. Any kid will be happy with a flashlight. Everyone here at CPF takes it a step further and is a more serious flashaholic.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between children liking flashlights and a flashaholic is that the interest always remains /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags, I'm guessing that you're Chinese based on your pic (forgive me if I'm mistaken). Around here they have the 'lantern festival' for the kids later in the year, where they're given colorful lanterns and let out in the evening for as long as the batteries last.

I remember being a lot more fascinated by the PR bulb and the two AA generic cheapo (probably zinc chloride) batteries than the lanterns themselves, usually some cheap and cheerful translucent plastic thing. That was many, many years ago. I'd forgotten all about it in the time that's passed.

This year, the 'lantern' is gonna have at *LEAST* 1600 bulb lumens, or 6-stage digital current regulation, or if my luck holds, HID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, well, I'd agree. Last night I made a little tent for my daughter and gave her a strion to light it up. Then she wanted a brighter light, so I brought out the x990. She thought it was perfect. Interest didn't wane, the next morning she wanted the same "tent light". Hmm, maybe it's just genetics.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's money. Enough people like chopper motorcycles to keep Jesse James and OCC on TV, but they can't afford them. I think a lot of people look at Surefire lights and think they're cool, but they'd never fathom spending the money. .