Ice Cream

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, there was recently a post made about favorite beers. I know this is stretching the limits of even the Cafe, but I just want to start this thread for curiousity and conversation.

Question: What is your favorite kind of Ice Cream??? (not brand, just the flavor)

code09

Enlightened
i seem to like everything...but the after eight ice cream is pretty good...tastes exactly like the after eight chocolate

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Italian gelato ice cream in Rome (and ONLY Rome). My favorite is stawberry ("fragola"), but any of their flavors are exquisite.

Here, probably Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey.

Sakugenken

Newly Enlightened
Pralines and cream, this thread is making me hungry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough choice.
From a supermarket - Turkey Hill Chocolate and Peanut Butter, Ben and Jerry's Karamel Sutra. Otherwise, there are so many good little homemade ice cream shops around here it's hard to choose.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Depends. For instance - Most store bought Strawberry or Peach ice cream don't really hvae much taste, so I fall back on Rum Raisin, cherry vanilla, of fudge swirl (depending on brand)

If I'm making my OWN, if I can get GOOD ripe peaches, I'll have to say peach, then strawberry, then raspberry, then blackberry, or blueberry, then Rum Raisin (which for some reason, the way I make it just doesn't seem to solidify that much) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Natural Vanilla Bean. Not plain vanilla, not french vanilla; it's gotta be Vanilla Bean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also love Heath Bar Crunch. I wish there were Dairy Queens in NYC. I miss the occasional Blizzard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being rather lactose intolerant I've shied away from ice cream over the last few years. If you have to go to a non-cream based substance then I really recommend the "tofuti" brand. it is by far better tasting and has a creamier mouth feel than the soy based ones, which are themselves better than the horrible rice milk based ones!

Back when I was still eating the stuff though Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia and their cookie dough were my favorites. But honestly nothing beats a really high quality vanilla with really good chocolate sauce over the top /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lately I've discovered that the lactase pills really will allow me to eat a certain amount of dairy stuff without the unfortunate side effects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif so I'm back toa small amount of ice cream! YEA! unfortunately this realization has come at a time when I'm trying to loose some of the weight that I gained since we started having children. My wife has been much better at loosing her baby weight than I've been at loosing mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif So we're counting carbs the next few weeks. I've got to say that the Bryers branded low carb chocolate ice cream (sweetened with splenda) is REALLY good. I can't taste the splenda garbage at all in it. It's just really creamy and sweet and good. most other stuff that says (sweetened with splenda) on it still tastes like diet soda which I despise, but this icecream is the exception. Perhaps you just can taste the funky chemicals when it's cold I don't know, but it's good.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Splenda have any side affects? I've always avoided Saccrin (sp?) and NutraSweet because I've heard reports that mixed with certain things they may be bad for you etc.... Well mainly I avoided them because they taste weird to me. Now I see Splenda in everything and was wondering if it was any better.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to NutraSweet, Splenda is horrible. According to Splenda, NutraSweet is bad. Personally, I can't tell the difference between sugar and splenda unless I'm tasting it straight, and then there's a slight difference but not enough to shy me away from it.

My favorite ice cream is Moose Tracks, it's a vanilla base with chocolate in it, with mini peanut butter cups in it. Yummy. .

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
nothing wrong with nutra sweet at all. Unless you have a very specific and very rare genetic condition that keeps you from digesting or breaking down the protein it cannot do anything to you. nutrasweet is officially the most studied food additive in the history of regulating food additives and no study has ever found anything wrong with it at all.

That being said I still think it tastes horrible. I think Spledna is an improvement, but it definitely doesn't taste like sugar.

I used to think that nutra sweet gave me a headache and made me feel light headed. This was from when I tried substituting a diet soda for the regular one I normally drank in the afternoon while at work. After drinking the diet soda I got a headache and felt unwell. That wasn't from the nutra sweet at all though, but rather from my blood sugar crashing after drinking it when my body was used to a huge sugar infusion right about then. When on a low carb diet like right now my blood sugar doesn't go up and down nearly as drastically and I can get hungry without feeling dizzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And I can drink a diet soda without feeling sick. I don't enjoy it, but it doesn't make me sick.

And as I said before, the bryers branded ice cream with splenda is great! (or perhaps it only tastes great to me because for the year previous to this I only ever ate tofuti /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
Does Splenda have any side affects? I've always avoided Saccrin (sp?) and NutraSweet because I've heard reports that mixed with certain things they may be bad for you etc.... Well mainly I avoided them because they tasted weird to me. Now I see Splenda in everything and was wondering if it was any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be a general concensus that Splenda can cause atrophy of the thymus gland as well as some other possible effects. It's pretty difficult to find any unbiased information about artificial sweeteners on the net, although I found this article that doesn't seem to be an emotionally charged rant about the topic.

Splenda works for me; I have stronger reservations about the other artificial sweeteners. I do eat things with sugar in them but I use Splenda for sweetening my coffee.

Relating to sugar and diabetics, I've known people who were able to reduce or actually eliminate their dependence on insulin by simply switching to a diet high in fruits, veggies and fiber and getting a modest amount of exercise. I was amazed to see this; I had no idea that their condition could be reversible.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry for drifting a bit off topic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif