Older KL1s

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
KL1.jpg

With all the new lights that have come out I still find my KL1s (older) come in very handy.....I really like the small form on an E1e body,the nice spill, and the fact that it just disappears in your front pants pocket. I am planning on sending one of the heads next week to CHOP to work his magic.

I have been looking into the newer KL1s but not really to keen on "no side spill" but after hearing the Surefire will be putting out the E1L....I just may have to get one. Is the throw really that good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Aloha

Aloha

AlecGold

Enlightened
I have an older KL1 as well, but it has a blueish tint. Could some replace the Luxeon with a very nice bin?
Or can I do it myself? Where to buy than the top-rated luxeon?
I like the sidespill as well, the fact that it is this small on an E1e, it's always next to my keys in my jeans pockets, but the only thing that gets eaten away is the chrome on the keys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14C

Enlightened
The throw on the new Kl1 is very good. You will miss the sidespill of the older gens if you like or are use to that but if you want a small light that will toss photons into a distant corner it's a winner.

I did sell a Kl1 Gen 4 to someone who later decided it was not the best thing for him from what I have seen in posts so I guess that it depends on what you like.

For me it's kinda like "what is the best (gun, car, dog, ice cream, color). It all depends.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very easy to replace the LED in the original KL1. Any modern 3 watter will outclass the purplish low dome that is installed.

Anthony

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Don McLish's 3 5mm led head project comes through it will fit the e series bodies.

Dizney

Newly Enlightened
Braddah Bill,

I can vouch for Chop's craftsmanship....he does outstanding work!! I had him modify two 1st gen KL1s and three KL3s awhile back, and the transformation was incredible.

AlecGold

Enlightened
I cant seem to open my KL1, the lens came off, but the second ring doesn't want to come off. it's an older type, so there are no screws anywere to find. At first the circuitboard turns a little bit, then it stops and there is no way to turn it any further. HEEEEEEELP, what to do next?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need to heat it to soften the sealant holding the head together. About 170 degrees F will do it. Make sure that you remove the emitter and sink first or you're going to rip stuff apart.

AlecGold

Enlightened
Tnx Chop,
but i'm just able to get the lens of, but I can't seem to get the emitter out. There is apperently no heatsink in this old model, and the emitter/circuit board doesn't get out either.
So I'm condemed to further heating the head-body in the hope I don't dammage the electronics/emitter?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter is not attached to the circuit board. The circuit is in the center compartment of the KL1. The gold disk that the emitter is sitting on is just a heat sink. If you desolder the leads to the heatsink, you should be able remove the sink.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new KL1 is a thor MONSTER. i got one last week along with my E1e and E2e's. The KL1 head is just plain awesome. I would like to get an older KL1 head for comparison or just to have. But im not going to part with my new one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
hallis, the tightness of the new KL1 head's beam does not bother you at all? I am thinking of getting one too, but i just afraid the effect of the very tight beam of the KL1 is similar to the one from the inova X1, not useful at all.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's useful to me. I like lights that throw. I've used it to pre-flight my car at night before i go to work. Only reason i use my Q3 instead is i wouldnt be too mad if i lost a Q3.

Shane

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the older KL1s were not perfect by a long shot, the very last of the 3rd generation KL1s were very nice, needing only the addition of a reflector. If I were given the choice of either a 3rd gen KL1 or a 4th gen, that would be a no brainer for me. I'd take the 3rd gen with the nice high dome. I'd even be willing to live with the NX05, if I had to.

hikari

Newly Enlightened
Woohoo! I took delivery on my new KL1 head today and threw it on a VG FB1 host. Wow! Bigtime throw compared to the old KL1 head it replaced (da one wid da fins like da pix get).

For the most part, I like the beam because it's bright. The color is a little whiter than the old one (which was quite blue to my eyes). What I miss is that the old KL1 had a very circular bright spot with a smooth, even spill. The new KL1 had a distinctly squarish or diamond shaped bright spot with minimal spill and a bright narrow ring about 20-25 degrees from the axis.

Can anybody tell me if this is typical of the new KL1's?

AlecGold

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
The emitter is not attached to the circuit board. The circuit is in the center compartment of the KL1. The gold disk that the emitter is sitting on is just a heat sink. If you desolder the leads to the heatsink, you should be able remove the sink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tnx Chop, this afternoon I will be dismanteling the KL1.
Thanks a lot again!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is also very nice, and I really dont have a problem with it. It has some serious throw.. Easily compareable to the e2e!

-tom

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can verify Chop's work as well. I had a very old, very blue KL1 but Chop replaced it with a Lux III and reflector and it is now my most used light, even more so then my VIP.

Latest posts