How do you pronounce "Aleph"?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How do you pronounce \"Aleph\"?

I've always thought of it as being pronounced as a long A (first syllable of 'maple') and a shortened 'luf' (first syllable of the airline Lufthansa). With the emphasis on the first syllable.

*Bryan*

Enlightened

I thought is was pronounced like uh-lef.....could be my NYC roots coming out tho.. lol

B@rt

Flashaholic

"A" like in father, followed by "lef" like in left (without the "t" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always thought A.L.F. as in Alien Life Form. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like the start of the word Alpha.

uh-lef - NYC? Huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

*Bryan*

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC has a lot of boroughs doesn't it............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
wasBlinded said:
So is it Yiddish for "light" or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
curbry said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC has a lot of boroughs doesn't it............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. I'm just asking what the NYC reference was cause I didn't get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Bryan*

Enlightened

in the way a lot, most NY'ers speak. like pronouncing water. most drop the r and pronounce it like wort uh.

that is what I based my uh-lef. maybe a bad example. I apologize if I offended you.

I lived in NYC for 31 years, I wasn't poking fun at anyone...

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasn't offended in the least. I'm not sure why you think I was. I'm a New Yorker and simply didn't get the NYC reference. Was asking, that's it. Now I get what you were trying to say. No problems here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW I pronounce water as 'wohr-der'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

*Bryan*

Enlightened

you typed it better than I. I actually tried to edit my last post because I pronounce it like it has a D rather than a T and couldn't think of the correct/ better way of typing it...
like wohr-da, lol

hey, are you in the building's next to the WFC or further north.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I was introduced to Aleph in a post graduate economics class about 30 years ago. The professor was pretty jazzed about the number Aleph null. He went on to try to explain the theory of the set of Aleph numbers and I was intrigued by some numbers which made infinity seem tame and fathomable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I liked the looks of the character Aleph as well as the concept that was beyond my reach. For me, the Aleph numbers represent concepts beyond my limits of understanding; somewhat like infinity does. I have always liked the notion of symbols beyond ones limitations as they can serve to remind onself of the arbitrary limits one has and that these limits can always be pushed, set further or what have you.

I figured Aleph would be a good name for a series of lights, still unknown and hopefully resulting from pushing my own limits to new levels. The Aleph numbers are a set of related numbers that are not well known or understood. The Aleph set of flashlights are a set of flashlights that are not well known or understood. Although there is a rational progression from Alepn null to Aleph one and on, it is beyond me and as it has turned out, the progression of the names of the Aleph lights is perhaps based on a rational sequence but in retrospect it is also beyond me as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I was after a unique name that was capable of expansion as well as a certain air of mystery and challenging by nature; as these lights have been for me. It would seem that mathmaticians can map beyond infinity. When you take an Aleph light or any light for that matter, point it towards the heavens and let loose a stream of photons, consider how far those photons might go! It's mind boggling!

I think the Aleph set of numbers are cool and because I don't understand them, what better set of symbols for some lights that I think are cool which I also don't really understand! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now, to the question posed in this thread, I am no longer sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif (EDIT: to the best of my recollection, Bart is right and that is certainly no surprise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

try saying 'aleph bet' as in 'alphabet' (bet is the 2nd letter of the hebrew alphabet).

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 1st Hebrew number
indexes the 1st letter of the Hebrew alphabet, 'aleph (aw-lef), and the 1st word "{1} 'ab awb; a primitive word; father,

mut

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always said it -A- as in maple, fallowed by -lef- as in left without the t on the end.