Help With Recommendation

ksbman

Flashaholic*
A friend at work asked me to recommend a light for him to use at work. He'd like something small, using an LS, no 123's, and under $100.

I haven't found too much out there that I like. A couple of Gerber's, especially the LX3, look good. The UK 4AA LED might do. I didn't like the PT Impact XL I had, it was pretty dim.

If I can get him to up his limit to $200, with a Pila battery and charger, he'd have a couple more options. I'll work on him, but he's on vacation now.

Any suggestions?

edit - Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention drop-in sandwiches. That would be something he'd go for.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Nuwai has severl lights out that use AAA batteries and the new led (somewhere between a 5mm led and a Lux I). The Streamlight Jr LED is a bit larger that the AA minimag but is very bright and is available for around $30

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still an EverLED fan; he can pick and choose his host. Or go with SL Junior or UK eLed? How bright? throw? flood? Runtime? Maybe get him a sammy for a MiniMag.

What other Lux's don't use 123's?

wquiles

Flashaholic
I would suggest an Inretech LED module for a AA Minimag or a sandwitch/sammy like Sinjz recommends above.

I have the Inretech with the Enhanced White LED (luxeon, I beleive, although I could be wrong), which is about $35, and it is a great little light on AA alkalines and even better with AA lithiums (this is my backup EDC which I always carry in my work briefcase/bag).

Will

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keith,
The only lights that can use the unprotected R123 are the Arc4 and the HDS. They are designed to NOT discharge the battery below 3 Volts.
Discharging a Li-Ion cell below 3 Volts makes it a paperweight.
The unprotected Li-Ion cells will work in the E1e/KL1 and the Nuwai Q3, but your friend should be very careful not discharging them too much. I have no direct experience with Longbows, where they may work.

My personal suggestion for a rechargeable setup is a E2e/KL1 or the new E2L. It works 2+ hrs with a 168S. Alternatively, an L4 will work for 50 mins on a 168S, with more flood and brightness. Also, they will have the possibility of using primary 123s for backup.

In the realm of AA-powered lights, the best light in that price range would have been the Arc-LS with AA battery pack. The Streamlight Jr. LS is a viable alternative, it runs on 2xAA 2100 mAH Ni-MH for 3+ hours. Also, Elektrolumens makes a very good 2AA LS light.

Hope this helps

Anthony

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
MiniMag with a sandwhich or one of Lambda's MiniPro come to mind.

mut