Help! Replace lost Arc AAA with...?

setterman

Newly Enlightened
It finally happened. I lost my Arc AAA premium, which I took with me everywhere. Now what? Any recommendations for a replacement? I'm looking for something of the same size that I can carry in my pocket, dependable, etc. PEAK? Longbow (too large?)? I can't afford the prices the Arcs are going for now. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dennis

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

For giggles, I just got a Peak AAA with the arc-style body and the "ultra-power" light (seen at the bottom of this page). The output is pretty close to an Arc, though with more rings and flaws, and the body and head are identical. Also has the matte-style HA like the Arc, as compared to the shiney, slick anodizing on most Peaks.

You can order one of these suckers by emailing their "custom design center" ([email protected]). It costs about $25, plus $5 for the upgrade to the higher output "ultra". PM me if this doesn't make sense.

An alternative is to watch for an Arc here in the BST forum. They can sometimes be had for $40 or so, but they only last about 5 minutes at that price. You won't find one on ebay for under $80.

best regards

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
setterman...
I lent out an Arc AAA-P while I evaluated a Peak AAA 3 LED snow light. The girl lost it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif so the peak became my EDC keychain light.
I find the Peak to be brighter and much whiter than the AAA-P so no major loss to me. When those lithium AAA batteries become available for less than $10 a 4-pack, they will feed the Peak.
Some nut is making a Peak AAA brass mod that runs a LuxIII at 400mA using a Lithium Ion rechagable 3.6V AAA battery. If you want the best....

rwolff

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your loss. From what I've seen here, Arc AAA flashlights fall into the same category as the B4V (check here for what that's all about), the DeHavilant Beaver, and the DC3 - the only true replacement for one is another of the same.

AW

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
setterman...

Some nut is making a Peak AAA brass mod that runs a LuxIII at 400mA using a Lithium Ion rechagable 3.6V AAA battery. If you want the best....

[/ QUOTE ]

I happened to order one running at 440mAH and I believe it will be the brightest AAA light around when I receive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
I bet my micro illuminator would give your 440 mah
peak aaa light a run for it's money

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, how bright is the micro illuminator? I believe it is a 1 watt LS driven by a single AAA.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Roy. The Nuwai .5W 1AAA is now my EDC. My Arc is great, but I needed more light. The Nuwai may be bigger, but I haven't noticed it in my pocket and I'm pretty fussy about that.

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
look into one of the peak matterhorns or maybe the gerber sonic (same brightness as the infinity, but in an AAA package)
i'm considering the gerber myself, it's half the price of the peak

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
micro iluminator is a regulated aaa brinkman mod with a locking(locks off) clickie switch. Mine draws about 400 ma from a lithium aaa cell. Mine is suposed to have a 1 watt high dome eos r2h led in it and a ucl lens and a reflector.

2 hours runtime to 50% with a alkaline aaa cell.

I use it all the time.

and I drop it a lot.

still works great.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle: cool, good to know the custom design center can fix us up with a HA nat, lug style arc replacement. Snow/ultra power would be great. Is the ultrapower the same as the old "highpower" ? Confusing I thought they did away with the normal power... Now normal power is high, and high is ultra?

I got my ArcAAA NIB for 21 shipped from TIN. And I love it. I would hope I'll never have to replace it. But if I do good to know I can get close to the same thing. EDIT--- I got it back when Arc was still in business. He doesn't have them for sale right now at that price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

setterman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. What a great forum. I'm going to try two or three of the suggested lights...there are too many good ones to narrow it down to just one. I'll let you know the results. Thanks again.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
HH is on it with the sonic. Not HA-III, but as good/or better beam wise. Still need to try a peak ARC clone. VDG

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Is the ultrapower the same as the old "highpower" ? Confusing I thought they did away with the normal power...

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that they still have 3 levels, but I have not been keeping up on whats going on at Peak. The heads are stamped with a letter indicating which flavor you have, but the ultra I just received is not stamped (so I really dont know what it is). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

best regards

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Welcome!

For giggles, I just got a Peak AAA with the arc-style body and the "ultra-power" light (seen at the bottom of this page). The output is pretty close to an Arc, though with more rings and flaws, and the body and head are identical. Also has the matte-style HA like the Arc, as compared to the shiney, slick anodizing on most Peaks.

You can order one of these suckers by emailing their "custom design center" ([email protected]). It costs about $25, plus $5 for the upgrade to the higher output "ultra". PM me if this doesn't make sense.
best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you referring to this at the very bottom of the page:
1.5v AAA 1 LED Hi-Power Snow / with lug body
upgraded to the Snow Ultra-Power?

Does anyone have any pictures of this light? When you say the head and body are identical, do you mean it looks exactly like an Arc AAA? Was there some history between Arc and Peak? (sorry came to CPF right after Arc closed down... I have been looking for a decent deal on an Arc AAA since I joined!)