Power for 1185

davidra

Enlightened
I've been trying to figure this out, but haven't gotten anywhere. Say I've got some 1185's (I do) but don't want to mess around with rechargeables (yes, I know they're bright and guiltfree, but I have a lot of other batteries already). Assume some kind of Mag host. What combinations, if any, of nonrechargeable batteries can I use? I've sure got a bunch of 123's....

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
A double stack of 4x123's will drive the 1185, but even with the voltage drop puts you on the bare edge of instaflashing.

3x123's will drive it, but not as bright as it could be. In a mag body, those are your options so far as I can see.

Bill

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Davidra -

You can run them on two stacks of 4x123. Then add two AA lithium batts to each stack and you'll have a real winner.
I'll PM you with a more detailed explanation of how to build the stacks. That's how I ran my 1185 before going rechargable.

mokona2

Enlightened
litho123, could you PM me the details as well? I am about 66% complete on my own Mag85BP, but don't really want to go with rechargeables since I already have quite a few 123s available.

litho123

Enlightened
Better yet, I'll post them here...

This battery combo will fit in a 3D M@g.
The way for building the battery stick is as follows. I take two 5/16" dowel rods and cut them 1-2 mm shorter than the total length of the battery stack (4-123's + 1-AA litho). I then place one pair of 123 batts standing upright, side-by-side and tape the two dowels to them. The batts make a figure-8 and the dowels go alongside them where the batts meet. Once the first set of batts is taped to the sticks, add the next pair of batts and tape them to the stick and so on until all the batts are taped to the stick.

Now all that is needed is something to make the + and - connections.

For the +... I take the nipple top off a duracell D cell batt for the + connection.

The link is here
which shows a picture of the washer that I sent to Juancho. You would need to make one similar to that for the Negative end of the batts.

Assembly...
nipple disc (nipple down)
then batt stick
then washer
then screw on the tailcap.

Flip the switch and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks litho, I was wanting that info as well.

Another few questions: bwaits says that 2x 4x123 puts the 1185 close to instaflashing, but litho123 is saying that it should be the 2x 4x123 plus another lithium AA at the end of each stack for 2x 4.5x123 instead? Will both work, but one give longer bulb/battery life at the expense of brightness? What do you think the runtimes would be with these batteries?

Im still waiting for some parts for the the MAG85BP Im building, but I'd really like the option of using primary sells as well as rechargable.

I've also got a 4C Mag that I want to do something with and have some WA01318 bulbs on the way. I've read that 4.5x123 is the way to go with this setup. Am I correct?

Thanks

litho123

Enlightened
Hi MrBadger -

Your runtime will be in the neighborhood of 35 - 40 minutes - with either the 2x4x123 or 2x4.5x123. Adding the extra 1.5v from the AA lithos really cranks up the brightness at the expense of shorter bulb life. I haven't burnt my first one out yet, so I can't give you an estimation on bulb life.

The 1318 in a 4C is very nice. Expect about 25 - 30 minutes runtime.

The Carley 809 is also very nice (less brightness, longer runtime) and runs on the same power stick as the 1185. 2x4.5x123 or 9AA nimh's give you over an hour and a half of runtime in a 3D.
Running the 809 on 1x4.5x123 in a 4C, you'd get about 50 - 55 minutes.

davidra

Enlightened
Amazing, Litho. Thanks for the link. As someone who doesn't think that well spatially, is there any chance you can post a pic of the battery stack+dowel? I see the example on Juancho's post, but do you integrate that extra AA into the stack??? Additionally, he talks about the need for a dummy battery...is that not needed for the double stack?

litho123

Enlightened
RE: Dummy battery? Not for the 1185 in a 3D body.

Juancho was talking about the 1318 (1331) which runs on twin stacks of 4x123. 4 123 batts end-to-end takes up less space than 3 D batts, so somehow we have to fashion a spacer/dummy to make up the difference. As noted in the pic, you'll see a plumbing endcap with the D cell top taped to it. For Juancho, this becomes his spacer/dummy.

M@g Trivia: Twin stacks of 4 123's do NOT fit in a 2D M@g lite because of the tailcap threading onto the 2D body, a single stack 4x123 will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

davidra

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
litho123 said:
RE: Dummy battery? Not for the 1185 in a 3D body.

Juancho was talking about the 1318 (1331) which runs on twin stacks of 4x123. 4 123 batts end-to-end takes up less space than 3 D batts, so somehow we have to fashion a spacer/dummy to make up the difference. As noted in the pic, you'll see a plumbing endcap with the D cell top taped to it. For Juancho, this becomes his spacer/dummy.

M@g Trivia: Twin stacks of 4 123's do NOT fit in a 2D M@g lite because of the tailcap threading onto the 2D body, a single stack 4x123 will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I feel really stupid, but it's still not clear. You said, above, that 4 123's take up less space than 3 D batteries, but that's what a 3D Mag has in it. You also say you don't need any dummy for the 1185, but as I understand it you're running two stacks of 123's, each of which are as high as....4 123's. Assuming you are adding a washer on each end, with the appropriate ends, it still seems like there would be too much room in the 3D host for (one or two) stacks of 4 123's. Is the issue the spring? Also, what specific kind of washers do you use, or does it make a difference? And finally, what about the 2AA that pushes the brightness? Where does it go? Sorry for the density....

mokona2

Enlightened
litho, thanks for the explanation and the link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Since I suck on the electronics math /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif, basically you could run an 1185 on 2 parallel stacks of 4x123s (a wee bit overdriven with the extra lithium AA)? Safe to say you should have 35-40 minutes of super brightness (800+ lumens at spec?), just need to add a dummy cell or a 1 AA to D adapter to fill the extra space in a Mag 3D body? Hmm.. there may be hope for my forgotten project yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

davidra

Enlightened
Litho....come back....please....how does the AA fit in the stack? Do you use a AA/D holder??? And maybe a little more detail on the washer connections? Thanks....

davidra

Enlightened
Thanks...What we need is a Dummy's Guide to Simple Mag Mods for the spatially challenged.....

litho123

Enlightened
davidra -

I e-mailed you some pics that I hope will help you.
If anyone else needs to see the pics, e-mail me & I can e-mail them to you. If you can post them here for everyone I would greatly appreciate it.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
PIctures of the battery stacks.

Here they are, clicking on an image will open a new browser window.

litho123

Enlightened
The Pics are posted here showing how the battery stick is held together along with an upclose pic of the (-) contact washer. I used Crazy Glue to afix the smaller washers to the larger one.

Greg

EDIT: Thanks Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for posting the pics here. You'll have to show me how to set them up the way you did.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
litho123 said:
The Pics are posted here showing how the battery stick is held together along with an upclose pic of the (-) contact washer. I used Crazy Glue to afix the smaller washers to the larger one.

Greg

EDIT: Thanks Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for posting the pics here. You'll have to show me how to set them up the way you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you upload the pics to ImageShack, the website offers you several different flavors of links depending on how you want the pics to appear and where you will be posting them. i.e. to a forum, to a website, a hotlink. One method of posting the pics, you see here.