How to become power of attorney for a loved one?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom which I posted is diagnosed with lung cancer, has asked my sister who lives in the area to become power of attorney should the worst happen to her. My dad is still alive but is legally blind and not in great health otherwise. Any idea how this is done and the steps involved? My sister says she is going to contact an attorney to find out what needs to be done but none of us have a lot of spare money and would rather put any such money in helping the parent's rather then in attorney's fees. If anybody has gone thru this procedure and has any advice, I would appreciate it.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: How to become power of attorney for a loved on

Sorry for your folks, geepondy. I had to do it last year for my father. I had to get an attorney to draw up the forms. They will probably both have to sign the forms in the presance of a Notary Public and witnesses. I used the same attorney that drew up my father's living trust and had to find a "mobile" Notary Public to do the deed in the hospital. It was interesting that the hospital staff were not allowed to act as witnesses. Hope this helps.

Larry

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are several online sources for such paperwork, a google search will turn up several like http://www.findlegalforms.com/ (I have no knowledge of those guys at all, they were just the first link) you'll still have to pay for the notary.

Those MIGHT work if there are no issues and nobody contests anything and your family always agrees on anything that the person in the forms is wanting to do.

Unfortunately these are very trying things that you're getting into and it's quite possible for siblings or parents or even doctors to have very strong disagreements. You want this paperwork to stand up. For that reason i'd really advise what Larry has already told you. Call around to some lawyers. Start with the yellow pages if you can't get a recommendation from a friend. This is not a complicated process and really just paperwork and gathering signatures. They lawyer should be able to give you the fee up front, or at least a range given any complications. It's worth the money to have this locked down to avoid problems later.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

James_S is right on. The "system" can be intimidating, but, unfortunarely, not avoided. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif You will have to involve an attorney and pay Notary Public fees.

Larry

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try to find a lawyer that will draw up the forms and arrange everything for a simple flat fee. Often it will cost less than you think and like most things, getting it professionaly done will negate most problems.

My advice would to find someone in your church or social circle and possibly get a referral from them. That way, you know what kind of person you're dealing with.

Samoan

Enlightened

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

If it has to do with Probate or POAs get an attorney involved.

Went through this with my folks last Christmas. They're not in a position to need this just yet but all the paperwork is in place with the attorneys if the need arises.

-F

Samoan

Enlightened

Oh yea,

From having had to deal with POAs that were not specific enough, keep in mind that the POA needs to spell out *exactly* what is and is not included in the POA.

-F

Zigzago

Enlightened

My Dad had two POA documents made up by his attorney - one for making health-related decisions and one for financial and property-related activities.

In the health document it's good for the person assigning powers to state their preferences as far as life-support issues go. This can remove a tremendous burden from the person who would otherwise have to make this decision as well as avoiding disagreements between family members.

Wishing you the best results in your Mom's treatment.