LRI Proton prototype 60 lumens with 1 AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonbox

Banned
LRI Proton prototype 60 lumens with 1 AA for 3 hr. runtime. This can't be for real. This sound like B.S. to me.

Here's the specs on it:

Close to production-ready is the new Proton light, a hi-flux light featuring two red LEDs and one bright white LED. Powered by a single AA battery of almost any type, Proton will measure 92mm by 16mm. The company is still doing testing, but expect the output to be an amazing 60 lumens, and the run time to be up to three hours on full power.

Proton is a flexible design which enables the user to choose to protect night vision or to brightly illuminate the subject. A flick of the switch gives full-power brightness of the white LED, while a long press causes the light to cycle up from the dimmest red setting to the brightest red setting.

Here's pics:

http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic10068.htm

http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic10113.htm

When is it coming out?
Price?

http://nbox00.tripod.com

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that LED efficiency is constantly improving but those specs sound like science fiction at this moment.
But hey, I hope they make me eat my words though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, maybe they're just holding back on the build quality of the prototypes but it 'looks' to be of the quality of the $.99 + $10 shipping Hong Kong lights.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Penguin

Enlightened
Hmmmm... 60 lumens with 1AA huh? Well remember, LRI also advertises the Photons to have 12-14 hours when really, after the first 40 minutes, you'll want to change the batteries.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish something like that would come out!

But my "other hand" is getting full much faster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Sounds like BS to me, especially when they claim you can use any kind of batteries to achieve 3h of full power. Nothing currently available on the market will give that kind of performance---If it's a Li-Ion powered light, it may be kinda possible.

*Retired*
Photon Micro Light / LRI
At the Photon Micro Light booth, David Allen was waxing eloquent about the new super-bright LEDs from Nichia. These newer LEDs, he says, are a good 50% brighter than anything they've ever gotten out of the top bin before, and about 100% brighter than the LEDs most folks are using now. The first production run of these newer LEDs is happening at the end of February, and LRI bought the entire first run.

http://www.equipped.org/SS_2005_LEDFlashlight_Review-4.htm

Interesting.

LRI is the manufacturer of the market leading LED keychain lights, the Photon Microlight, Photon Microlight II and the Photon Freedom Micro. It will be releasing the Proton in the summer of 2005. The Proton is a single AA, multi-mode, multi-mode LED flashlight. It uses a white 1.5 Nichia LED and two 3mm red LEDs. The Proton has fully adjustable brightness levels for the white and red LEDs. It also has the following modes in both red and white LEDs: slow beacon, medium strobe, fast strobe, SOS and momentary on/off. The anodized aluminum body is O-ring sealed which makes it waterproof. The Proton will have a 1.5 hour run-time at peak brightness and will produce constant light output because it has a fully regulated power supply. The Proton is made in the U.S.A. and has a lifetime warranty. It will retail for $70.00.

http://www.pocketlights.com/blog/2005/01/day-1-from-2005-shot-show.html

So, where did the three hour claim? I'm seeing only 1.5 hours, and they are utilizing the latest new Nichia parts.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw Dave at the Shotshow 2005. I overheard talk of the Photon Proton. This must be the new light he was talking about.

I will definitly be buying one. I love his lights.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
David still makes some sweet lights.

Personally, I can't picture a single AA producing 60 lumens but because of his reputation, I will definitely be checking it out. Keep an open mind. Even if its a little less than 60 lumens, we will be in for a treat.

To say a single CR123 light can't produce 60 lumens is not thinking outside 'the box'. New innovations are always occuring. When Lumileds created the Luxeon LED, I bet there were people who said, "There is no way a single LED can be 10...20...50 times brighter than the LEDs I use.

My single CR123 light produces over 200lm (X4T + R123 at the LED).

nonbox

Banned
I had a photon and I really liked it but I lost it. LRI makes great products. If the proton can make 60 lumens from a single AA, I think the demand for CR123 lights will drop significantly. CR123 are cheap now but AAs are cheaper and are every where.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhap they will just make smaller lights with 5 or more of these leds running off of a single CR123. I don't know what amperage these new LEDs are but its just the idea.

Yes, AA batteries are cheaper but 123 batteries are 3V+ and smaller than AA. CR123a batteries are here for a while.

nonbox

Banned
There's a japanese company that has created a new AA which packs more juice and they will be available in the near future because of the demand for AA from all the new portable electronic gadgets. Let's face it most non flashaholics don't know what a CR123 is and the price of CR123s at local stores are really expensive. Flashaholics know where to get CR123 for cheap. Rechargeable AA chargers and rechargeable AA batteries are everywhere. A small powerful 60 lumen, single AA flashlight would be a huge break through. I think every flashlight manufacturer would come out with their version.

Robban

Enlightened
Interesting, too bad it's insanely ugly though. One can only hope they make the final version look better. But, of course, looks come second to performance and I hope that it will indeed perform as promised. Personally I wouldn't buy it due to the high price though.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IIRC the 3h / 60lm was mentioned in a SHOT report by Doug Ritter ... linked in another thread.
In this "review" there were more strange brightness and runtime numbers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernhard

mike101

Newly Enlightened
Sorry that I missed something and the wrong guess.
But if Lumiled can produce new 65 lumens LED in 350mA(can be driven with 1 AA), why the Nichia can not?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I got to handle and play with a proto at SHOT and I was impressed. I look forward to getting one of these! David has a good working relationship with Nichia and I envy his success without need to buy a single ticket to the Luxeon lottery! Only time will tell how well Nichia can support his endeavors. In the long run, I see no reason not to be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.