Costco Japan Cyclops 10Mcp (thor-a-like)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of these. More expensive to be expected but this next part wasn't: no AC adapter only car lighter 12V charging. These are listed as being from a company in Bedford, TX. so I'm guessing that they are just pulling the US AC adapter instead of going to the trouble of getting Japanese voltage ones.

What is the US adapter's output? I have a variable powersupply but would like to set it correctly for charging on AC.

TIA,
-LT

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what it is you actually have.....

You bought a 10Mcp Thor (like) flashlight at CostCo and it didn't come with an AC adaptor? (red box - black light?)

Did the box appear to have been opened (you know those little monkey-hands are everywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) because I think it may have come with one... everybody elses's did...

JohnGault

Newly Enlightened
I just reread your post and noticed your "Location" -hehe

Are you saying you're in the country of Japan, at a CostCo there, and bought this??? (you really weren't too clear on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

If so, my AC adaptor is rated @ 12V 1500mA

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I'm in Japan and there are Costcos here and I bought the above stated light at one of these stores. Sorry if it was cryptic before.

They have a tag on all lights and the price sign on the shelf that says "only 12 charger included, NO 100V AC adapter" so they weren't pinched by "monkey-hands".

The light should arrive tomorrow so I'm trying to track down the proper adapter for it since I don't have a car here that will be the only way I can charge it.

So for ~$35 I got the light with only the car adapter and the yellow light. Now I'm trying to find out what the US wall wart's output might be. From JohnGault's post it looks to be 12VDC 1.5A. Is that the consensus?

Thanks for the help,
-LT

HighLight

Enlightened
My Thor adaptor is rated 12v 1000ma output, Be sure to only plug this in your top charging hole. The bottom one is for powering it up with a 12 v cigarette lighter cord. I.ve read here that you should only leave it charging for around 20 hours or so but I don't know if thats true. The literature that accompanied my Thor doesn't give a time limit as to how long it remains plugged in. Hope this is useful to you.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info and I've found a 12VDC 1A power supply but it won't go to 1.5A. Any others out there with input?

Do you know if your supplies are regulated? I've got a regulated 15V 2A supply that I use on my x990 which I believe also uses 12VDC but I don't know if the Thor expects 12VDC or whatever it sags to under load.

-LT

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thor charger says OUTPUT: 12V DC 1500ma. In the book that came with mine it said to charge it for 8 hours.

BVH

Flashaholic
When I was in Costco, Chiba, Japan, it seemed like 85% or so of all the branded merchandise was of U.S. origin and english labeled. I thought that was a little odd.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how odd it is since, IIRC, it is a US based company. My limited info on it suggests that is also part of the draw since quite a lot is not readily available here. Also all products I saw also have Japanese labeling.

-LT

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The charger that came with my Thor says 12VCD 1500mA. This is a big heavy duty mofo.

Thor%20DC%20adapter.jpg

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it's a SLA battery you need to get a float charger, otherwise the battery will slowly get ruined as the wallwarts aren't regulated. I wouldn't leave it hooked up to the charger indefinitely.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK it just arrived. Unfortunately all I've got now are these power sources: 20W 15VDC 1.3A solar panel; regulated 15VDC 2A laptop supply, variable up to 12VDC 1A switching power supply, and 15VDC 1A non-switching power supply.

Any chance I can get away without buying another supply? Also what's the difference between the 2 charge ports labeled car and AC?

Thanks,
-LT

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is much of a difference in the two ports, but I hope to be corrected if I'm wrong. The DC port for the car is the perfect source for charging since a car's voltage is regulated. Thus, the idea of the float charger, just a charger that cuts out around 13.8 volts or so, is that the the SLA is never overcharged (and cooking). You can get them at most auto supply houses for about 20 bucks-even cheaper on the internet. Then you can leave it on the charger and never never worry.

Congrats on the light, I laughed for about 2 days because it's so stupid big (and that was before the 15 MCP THOR), it's like a clown's light. But it works well, and your next step is to convert it to HID, so it can run for two hours, with more light than you'll ever need.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Thor battery more sensitive than the x990? I've got a x990 that uses a powersupply that puts out 15VDC for a 12V light. Except for the voltage it would appear OK for this too.

-LT

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DC port is so you can use the light directly off of a car battery, the bulb will be running at the full 100 watts then I believe. You can also charge the light with it by placing it in the AC/charge port.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
X990 NiMH battery shuts itself off after it's charged. The wallwart will just keep charging and over-charging the SLA of the Thor.