This light looks interesting

RobWV

Newly Enlightened
This new light from Princeton Tec looks interesting. I have an EOS and love it. This could be better.

"The Apex headlamp features a three-watt LED surrounded by four lower output LEDs, for a flexible system which enables you to find the balance between brightness and runtime that best suits the need of the moment. It is waterproof to 1 meter. The bright center LED of the Apex is fitted with a collimator lens. The three-watt LED is operated independently from the lower output LEDs. Each power switch has three power settings (low, medium, and high) and there's also an emergency flash setting.

The Apex hasn't yet been tested for battery life but the designers are expecting it will be around 8 hours of high output with the three-watt LED, and up to 500 hours with the low output LEDs on the lowest setting. The light uses a four-AA battery pack which may be used with lithium, alkaline, or NiMH rechargeable batteries. It comes in three colors, orange, black, and olive drab. Retail price will be around $70. "

Picture is here: http://www.equipped.org/SS_2005_LEDFlashlight_Review-5.htm

vtunderground

Enlightened
Look closely at this picture:

http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic10094.htm

Is that a heat sink I see on the backside of the body? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I find it interesting that PT put the buttons on the underside of the headlamp.

RobWV, thanks for posting this link, I've been wondering if PT was ever going to release this light.

edit: You know, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to control the Luxeon and 5mm LEDs independently. I think PT may have a real winner here.

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
Yea the heat sink of my corona always kinda worried me. I've never felt the unit get hot at all but somewhere in the paperwork was a warning that the heat sink could cause burns. If it gets that hot I would think heat sink + hair could = fire hazard.