Taking a flashlight in carry on.

AndyT

Newly Enlightened
I will be travelling in a few weeks, and I would like to take my Inova X5 in carry on with me. I wonder if the security would have any objections to X5. In addition, is it allowed to bring surefire flashlights in carry on, especially the E2D given it's less than conventional /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif appearance?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Malpaso

Enlightened
I remember reading a post, I believe it was on ar15.com, where someone had his Surefire taken away at the security checkpoint because "it was too bright". I can't search the thread right now because I'm at work, and that site is blocked.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It shouldn't be a problem. I've travelled with brighter/meaner-looking lights and they never look twice. I don't remember any reports on CPF about confiscating lights.

robinwa

Newly Enlightened
I was really worried when they started to examine my E2e, acted like they had no idea what it could be. They let me take it after messing with it for a couple of minutes. I will not chance it in carry on next time. Picked up a maxfire ($20.00) at Wal-Mart I will take on next flight. It's a little more conventional looking to the idiots, and less of a hit if taken.

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
I've taken an E2e with no problems through both Hartford and Atlanta.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
This really irks me, having to worry about percieved impropriety for having a stinkin' flashlight.

But before I get all wound up I should get the facts:

Does anyone know of a CONFIRMED case of a NORMAL light being taken away by security, i.e., not something obviously designed as an impact weapon with scallops on the bezel?

Second, is there anything in any applicable regs that disallows flashlights in carry-on?

Scott

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
The TSA list of prohibited items does not include flashlights. There is a catchall category for martial arts weapons that i suppose could be streached to include the aggressive bezels though.

Gmount

Newly Enlightened
I went through security last weekend in West Palm and Burlington. The E2e was in my carry on. Never a second glance. No problem at all.

That said, I have taken to carrying padded envelopes and stamps every time I fly, just in case you have to mail something home.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I just recently made an aquaintance who regularly carries an E2d on flights, originating in NYC. I was surprised to hear him report never getting a second glance. He does have a plastic bezel covering the business end of the E2d, but I imagine the X-ray machine "see thru that" disguise.

daloosh

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, deranged.

The thing that I would worry about is the following. From the TSA list:

"Prohibited items are . . . and include items that are seemingly harmless but may be used as weapons the so-called 'dual use' items. . .

"To ensure everyone s security, the screener may determine that an item not on the prohibited items chart is prohibited. In addition, the screener may also determine that an item on the permitted chart is dangerous and therefore may not be brought through the security checkpoint. . . "

Then on page 4, kubatons are prohibited. That would be one mechanism. Most EDC-sized lights can be used as kubatons. (But so can pens.)

But I really wouldn't worry about it. A Surefire E2D is one thing, but seizure of a regular flashlight would not be reasonable. They aren't on the prohibited list. You might accidentally have some overzealous freak, but I serously doubt you wouldn't get it back.

This supercedes all their policies, and implies pretty strongly that they have to warn you explicitly about what can be taken:

"Amendment IV

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

Scott

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Just to add my own story regarding travelling with flashlights...

The last time I was on a flight was in May 2002 when I was flying home to the Philippines to visit family. At the time, I had an Inova X5 with me which I carried in a belt holster. The screeners just asked me to turn on the light to verify that it was a real, working light and that was it. Of course, YMMV.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beezaur said:
This supercedes all their policies, and implies pretty strongly that they have to warn you explicitly about what can be taken:

"Amendment IV

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Beezaur, I hate to break it to you, but your argument is naive. Maybe in 1950 it would have worked. Exceptions have already been carved out of the constitution. When you go into an airport you are leaving the United States you are familiar with and entering TSA country. What they can demand of you is limited mostly by their imagination and how busy they are. If you resist or somehow annoy them they can detain you, deny you your flight, deny you use of the airport, put you on a list of people who will *always* be given the treatment in American airports, etc.

If you meet a screener who isn't sure what that funny looking thing is, or thinks they would like a nice shiny new flashlight, you can obey, or you can pay.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried a Streamlight Stinger daily through airport screening with no problems.
Just recently, I have carried my Nuwai 2AAA .5 watt also with no problems.