Will optics perfom better with low or high domes?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title asks all. I know that the high dome has kind of an optic already, but I am sure there is a difference in performance among the two. What will the difference be in beam characteristics? Brightness?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Will optics perfom better with low or high dom

HD doesn't have an optic. It's a perfect dome that lets all the light come out as if there wasn't a dome on it. LD focuses the light towards the sides more. Genneraly you can use a HD and a reflector to get a tighter beam. HD are what most everyon experiments with.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive noticed the part about people liking HDs. It seems Low domes are worthless these days...

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

LD's aren't all that popular nowadays with all of the reflectors available for Luxeons. The beam angle on a LD is 110 degrees while the beam angle on a HD is 150 degrees, so the HD is more compatible with a reflector.

They aren't totally worthless though. They are still easier to center with optics (NX01 or NX05).

For performance with optics, most optics are tailored for a specific emitter style. The Fraen LP is made for use with HD emitters while the NX01 was made for LD. The NX05 optic can be used with both, a HD when properly centered will create a tighter hotspot than a LD.

greenLED

Flashaholic

It depends on the application, Mags. I feel most of us like tighter beams (granted, with varying degrees of sidespill) for flashlights, but if I were building an area light, I'd probably use a LD.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Steve,

I short, the low dome is what you should use the optic with. If you are using a high dome, use a reflector. Low domes don't work well with reflectors, and high domes are better with reflectors than they are with optics.

How do you like that for confusing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif