Biggest light on keys?

Do you think the high priced Arc sales should be kept on Ebay, and off of CPF?

• I can't deal with any light on my keys (hey, ya never know)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Button cell LED (Photon type)

• Mag Solitaire size

• 1x123 size

• Even bigger

• Total voters

talonturbo

Newly Enlightened
I know that there are lots of wonderful tiny lights out there, but a little bigger usually allows for a little brighter, so what can you guys deal with?

I know KevinL has done an E1e (or TW4?) as a keychain, and I'm in the process of switching to a FB1/KL4 combo. From now on I'm gonna have my keys on a lanyard instead of just keys.

And there are lots of great CR2 lights that are between E1e size and the really small ones. I'm just curious as to the masses' opinions on what is too big for keychain purposes?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I could live with a SF L4 if I needed to. It doesn't bother me that much. But, I think anything bigger than 2x123 is to big. I'd be pretty sad if you went pants shopping just to check what brands have the biggest pockets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KahveOrta

Newly Enlightened
Well.......I used to have a Mag Solitaire with my keys (and SAK) for many years. Then switched to a Photon-clone LED (cos it was brighter than the Solitaire). Now, its a KL1+VG FB1. I'd say this is the max I'd comfortably carry, and I make sure my pants pockets are deep

If I need more light, the L2 goes on the holster

MaxaBaker - try the Dockers Mobile Pants - that's where I keep my L2 (sans holster) when I want a bit of "stealth"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bigger the light, the more you'll wonder how you lost your keys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've got a Peak AAA and an Inova Microlight on my keys, and the Splashlite is on my whistle keychain (strange little critter with a whistle and a floatie). .

mpetty

Newly Enlightened
I carry my keys, Arc AAA, and a glowring on a belt clip. Don't want anything bigger than the Arc hanging there. But I also carry a Peak Mckinley 7 Led on a watch chain in my front pocket. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll trade the Peak for a HDS EDC Ultimate.

Mike

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying my modded Solitaire on my keychain as a test. It works out pretty well but I wouldn't want anything any larger. I'm thinking about getting a Streamlight Keymate and modding it. (The Solitaire has a Lambda Luxeon MicroPill in it.)

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks powernoodle. I guess that pretty much answered my question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
It's not just a size thing, the weight also matters. I carried a big but lightweight fob on my keys for a while and it wasn't a problem. But the brass Peak 1AAA prototype light (exact same size as Arc AAA but about 2x as heavy) is a drag. I think I'd be ok with the Tekna Splashlite on my keys (slightly larger than CMG Ultra but much lighter). The Ultra is too heavy.

skr

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've had a CMG Ultra-G on my keychain for a few weeks -- and the size hasn't bothered me yet. That's about the same size as some 1x123 lights...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two small lights on mine along with a remote doorlock/starter.
I have read in several places that excessinve weight on the key in the ignition can cause problems in (some?) cars.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
X990.keychain.light.jpg

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the size depends on the overall size of the total "keychain assembly". How many keys, gadgets, etc. I used to have no problem with an Arc LSHP on my keys with twistie tail. The more stuff I added, keys, Spyderco Jester, day care electronic passkey, etc., I downsized to a FFII, and now a Photon knockoff from KevinL (minor plug here). My EDC used to be on my keychain; now it goes into my coat/pants pocket.