Led upgrades that are advertised on this
site? I did a search and can't find any
threads relating specifically to this.

Thanks

MB

Zigzago

Enlightened
Here's a recent thread. Drop-ins

I have used the MadMax Lite from the Sandwich Shoppe (bright, 2hr+ runtime) and the Opalec NewBeam (less bright, 10 hr runtime) both for the minimag. Both are good.

This is a perfectly valid question but it is asked quite often. There really should be a sticky post at the top of the LED forum listing mag LED modules.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the topic of LED bulbs in 2 cell Mags, the EverLED in a 2 cell Mag is the biggest improvement of output! Using the EverLED in a 3 cell light, there is a huge improvement in color and beam quality, but not really in output in my opinioni. On the other hand, comnparing the EverLED to a Krypton or Xenon bulb in a 2C or 2D Mag will make a believer out of ANYONE!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regarding the Minimag options, I've never owned any of the Luxeon sandwiches but have tried the Opalec and countless numbers of single LEDs that I've just run direct drive. Many 3mm LEDs you can use as is after cutting the leads to correct length. To use 5mm LEDs, you will need to drill out the reflector a bit but this is easy enough. Incredible increases in runtime can be achieved going this route. I have a Minimag knockoff (with a stock clickie!) that has a 3mm green LED that achieves full brightness at 3V that has got at least 20 minutes a night and is still on the first set of alkalines which have been in for 2 months and are still going strong and the new 26,000 mcd LEDs are very white and get very bright on 2 cells of any kind, esp lithiums.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Everled is great, the only downfall is that it's slightly pricey for some people. If you're looking more for runtime, Tektite LED bulbs are slightly dimmer but with really good runtime at a price about half of the Everled. Of course, if you only cared about runtime and needed no more than a reading lamp, the PR base bulbs with a couple of 3mm LEDs in them would work.

junior

Enlightened
You can try the MJLED. I just did one you check it on the reviews section. I like it way more than my Dorcy 2AA and that has 4 5mm leds!

skr

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
spirit_of_light said:
ex. Take a SL Jr at 2 batteries it will last about 1 hour & 30 mins of continuous use. Now take a SL TT3AAlux which is a 3 AA battery version of the Jr and the battery life is now 24 hours of continious use. Just for adding on 1.5vdc giving 4.5vdc over the 3.0vdc of the Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples and oranges...

The Streamlight Jr Luxeon is regulated for constant light output over its runtime; the Twintask 3AA is unregulated and has diminishing output over its runtime.

For a first MiniMag drop-in, the Terralux Ministar2 is a good choice. It's only $25 or so, and is a huge step up from the puny incandescent bulb. The next best would be one of the drop-in sandwiches from the Sandwiche Shoppe -- such as a BadBoy NexGen 500 or etc. These will have more output and improved beam quality, but they cost two to three times as much as the Ministar2.

Another great choice would be Lambda's MiniPro III pill for $40 -- but there's a ginormous waiting list for those, so you'd be waiting a long time...

mykall

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replys. I'm getting a little
confused though. I'm really looking for LED RPL
for just the 2AA Maglites. The main reason is that
the 2aa mag halogen bulbs just don't last very long
until they "brown" and degrade in quality.

My only reservation about the leds is that I'll lose what
little throw the incans had, or is there an LED for this
that can match?

Thanks

MB

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
If you are looking for a simple drop-in for the 2AA maglite then the Terralux Ministar2 mentioned in skr's post is a nice way to go. Not too expensive with a longer runtime then the original bulb and more consistent beam color as the battery drains. The beam profile is a little splotchy but I still think it is an improvement over the original bulb. There is not much of a focussing range but throw appears to be at least equivalent to the original config. I still use mine as a all-purpose light even though I have since bought more powerful LED lights.

If you do get one, be careful when you first install it. It uses a side-emitting luxeon which has edges that can be easily damaged. The LED on mine was slightly tilted to one side (easily straightened) and I caught the edge of it while screwing on the head with the new reflector and scraped it a bit (not seriously though).

[ QUOTE ]
mykall said:
Thanks for all the replys. I'm getting a little
confused though. I'm really looking for LED RPL
for just the 2AA Maglites. The main reason is that
the 2aa mag halogen bulbs just don't last very long
until they "brown" and degrade in quality.

My only reservation about the leds is that I'll lose what
little throw the incans had, or is there an LED for this
that can match?

Thanks

MB

[/ QUOTE ]

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Opalec, though not incredibly bright, is an excellent upgrade for the minimag.

the Terralux (thoughI do not have one) sounds like another winner.

For a very inexpensive solution, Lambda had been selling modified high-power LED drop-ins and kits for the minimag. they are quite bright, and the kit is only $10, which includes the LED, reflector and a glass lens. It also has a very long runtime.

look under Custom mod B/S/T, and look for the thread "MJLED Chapter II SOLD OUT..."

Lambda may have some more soon...still waiting for mine!

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops...double post. how did that happen?

um...we love you, Sasha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob

rikvee

Enlightened
Throw AND an led in a Minimag, mmmm
I use Madmaxlite sandwiches that can light up a room like a Surefire L4 (on a 14500 rechargeable, single AA size).
For throw I have an ASP Taclite (incandescent; great for lighting up housenumbers in a dark street), and I guess an Aleph3 led head may do an even better job.
Keeping cost in mind, the MJLED could be the best Minimag drop-in, brighter, whiter and more even, but I don't know if it would actually improve the throw....

mykall

Enlightened
rikvee wrote: "MJLED could be the best Minimag drop-in, brighter, whiter and more even, but I don't know if it would actually improve the throw..."

Thanks for the reply Rik. Actually, thanks for all the replys. I didn't necessarily expect to improve throw
just didn't want to "LOSE" any throw for a brighter led if
possible. Where would I find an MJLED?