New KL1 for 2005?

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking over the new Surefire Catalogue and it seems to have new ratings for the KL1 LED head. As far as I can tell, both the output and runtimes have increased. Also it is rated at 3W driven at 1W. Does anyone have any additional info on this? If there is a new version for 2005, is it out yet, and how can it be identified?

Thanks

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid but the KL1 mentioned in the 2005 SF catalog is the same that SF has been selling for the last part of year 2004.
It replaced the old KL1 that used NX05 optic, and was driven at a lower current. It was also using a lesser LED. The actual KL1 uses a 3 W LED driven at 1 Watt.
It is also the same LED module that now is integral part of the E1L and E2L lights.

Anthony

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I want to buy a KL1 and just wanted to make sure that I got the "latest greatest."

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
One thing you should know is that the latest and greatest KL1 is very different from the prior gen. KL1. The current KL1 is a spotlight - there is essentially no side spill. I like it, but some folks will NOT see this as an improvement and will not like this light.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
what did they do to the optics to make it a spotlight? does it use the fraen lp optic now?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
No, it uses a TIR optic (Total internal reflection) sort of like the ones Inova uses on their XO and XO3 lights. It's a different optic, though - the Inova one is ringy. The KL1 produces a square hotspot with one thin ring that's far enough from the hotspot that I don't actually ever notice it. (The rings on the Inova are the sidespill - the KL1 has less sidespill in my opinion than an Inova XO3!) In practice I don't notice the square hotspot. Actually my first impression of the light was quite positive. I still think it's very good, really, but I also know the reason I like this light will make some people really NOT like it.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
I was fortunate enough to get one of the relatively uncommon 1W HD KL1's from another CPF member, (Thanks, Nikon!) and I consider it's beam more useful than the tight hotspot of the newest generation of KL1's.

Basically, it has some spill light, making it more useful indoors, and at moderate distances, IMHO.

For outdoor use, or in large dark areas, the longer throwing, newest generation KL1 does have a distinct advantage.

It comes down to personal preference, I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pity the optics aren't easily changed by someone as technically inept as I am.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif