Death~Ray - 5 Watt LED Mountain Bike Light

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
My latest Project:

Death~Ray - 5 Watt LED Mountain Bike Light

ls537rockr1he.jpg

Description:

The Death~Ray is a self contained bike light designed to provide night-time illumination of rocky singletrack - at speeds up to 20MPH. It shall clearly illuminate the trail path up to 20 feet ahead. Built in battery and charge port (allows for "plug an play" charging as well as external backup battery connection). It is recommended to supplement this light with a helmet mounted LED of 5 Watts or greater - to provide corner illumination. Handlebar mounting is accomplished through a Loop and Hook O-ring. This lightweight system utilizes the highest density Li-ion power cell and most powerful LED on the market (01/2005).

Components:

1 - 5 Watt Luxeon Star (Premium Bin)
1 - 2400maH lithium Ion Battery (18650 cell)
1 - Li-Ion protection PCB
1 - Taskled – Fatman Boost Driver PCB
1 - Judco Switch
1 - Deans Female connector
1 - 20 mm UCL glass lens
1 - 20 mm S020X reflector
lightparts1r0dx.jpg

Specifications:

Power: 5 Watt, 750ma (92% efficiency)
Burn time: Approx. 90 minutes
Total System Weight: 180grams
Dimensions: 3.125" x 2.00" x 1.00"

ls5375r7nx.jpg

ls537mountedr3iw.jpg

ls537oringmountr4qx.jpg

ls537rearr3lm.jpg

ls537sizecomparer7xj.jpg

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

I didn't intend to steal the dead Kennedy's logo - those are my initials and they machined easily. I guess that it is hard to be original in this day and age.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes very cool looking. I love it when a very functional peice comes out in a very cool looking design!!

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Try performing a search for Tesla's 1940's "Death Ray" and you will find some interesting info.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet setup. How about some pics of the lucky light... I mean bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Very nicely done, good look, looks funtional.
nice machine work, should be a killer bike light that will last you.

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

All we need now is a group buy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it would be so much cooler with a colored luxeon.. Cyan? Or red/orange! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
But it would be so much cooler with a colored luxeon.. Cyan? Or red/orange! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And if we want to get totally silly - a small machined pocket for dry ice to be installed for the 'smoke effect' and thermal managment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gorgeous light - I love non-cylindrical lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Very high power and run by a Li-Ion battery too?? OUTSTANDING!

Doug.

(BTW - georges80 - I don't think he'll be seeing too much "smoke" tooling along at 20mph downhill... but for showing off afterward, now... I can see that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the kind remarks.

I will be putting the Death~Ray to the test this weekend in a 24-Hour Mountain Bike Race - North of Tucson - Link to 24 hours of old Pueblo.

I am part a a 5 man team - and will be riding approximately every 4/5 hours around a 16 mile mountain bike course. This is all in a 24 hour period from 12 Saturday to 12 on Sunday.