What be a good cell phone for AT&T Free To Go ??

Glenn

Enlightened
I am looking for a good cell phone (trying EBAY) for the AT&T Free To Go (prepaid) plan.
I have my Wife on the plan now and I am thinking of getting one for myself. She has one of the older heaver Nokia phones.
I am looking for something less than 5 oz. for myself.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ??

Glenn

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What be a good cell phone for AT&T Free To Go

Can you use any AT&T Wireless phone or does it have to be one that is specifically made for the Free To Go plan?

A while back, I had some experience with different AT&T phones, but don't know anything about the Free To Go plan. I know with some of the other prepaid plans, you need one of several specific phones.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it takes a Sim card (little white card that slides in underneath the battery) then any AT&T GSM compatable phone will work. Do a search for "AT&T GSM" on eBay or "GSM Unlocked".

Shane

Glenn

Enlightened

I just found out from AT&T that for the Free To Go Service that it is NOT to have a Sim card.
They said that the Nokia 8260 that I am bidding on on EBay would work.

Glenn

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read your post and buying a used cell phone on eBay sounded like a good idea. Anything to watch out for?

One listing I read advised that before bidding, you should call the cell phone provider with the phone's EIN to see if it can be activated and if there is an account balance against the phone. I also wonder if there is maybe a limit on the number of times the phone can be reprogrammed. I think I heard that somewhere. Or maybe the programming menu has been permanently locked by too many attempts to acces with the incorrect password.

I am kind of speculating here. Does anybody know if this is a good idea or too risky? I put a low bid out on a Virgin Mobile phone, but I would want to know more before spending any real money.

Edit: no more traffic on this thread, I will post this question as a new topic.