200,000 hr. (22 year) LEDs?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be that they are basingtheir claims on a 50% duty cycle. This is a common practice and assumes that the LEDs are run for an average of 12 hours a day, rather than 24-hour continuous operation.

NightShift

Enlightened
Well, they do state "Less than 26 mA @ 12 volts" ..yea could still be underdriven I guess. I figured the half-usage thing. Who would have the same computer for 22 years anyway
smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
my dad...

our first computer was bought in 92, a [email protected] 96 or 97 he upgraded to a 66 dx2.

finally, somewhere around 2000, we got a dell demension p3 with 500mhz...that is now our primary computer.

the old one is sitting here right next to me.

i don't know why he isn't better about new computers, it's not like he can't afford it, even a cheap one would work better.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
lol, i think ours was around 200mb.

kinda funny, my mp3 player has 20gb!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TI Professional Computer (8088) came with a $500 5 MB hard drive back in 1983.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1 with 4k and a tape drive.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by TTS:
My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1 with 4k and a tape drive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had one of those too! I thought "Now who would ever need more than 4K of memory!"...duh!! Had a Timex Sinclair too, sold it but may buy another for a "paperweight"/conversation piece. They are usually on eBay rather cheap!

Then I graduated "up to" an Atari 800 w/8meg RAM, tape drive and all that rot...then an Atari ST, then an Atari Mega ST, then finally a 486...and on and on..

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, my first computer, was a Radio Shack PC-1 Pocket Computer. It had a whopping 2KB RAM! That was a 'cheap' way of getting my feet wet. I wore that one out in 6 months.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My First PC was a Genuine IBM PC XT 4.77 MHz 8086 with 256 K of Ram, TWO, 5.25 inch, 360 K floppies, Color monitor and an NEC Spinrite 2550 printer. I paid $2,00 for the system!

No Hard Drive!

I remember installing my 1st hard drive, I replaced the BIOS with a Phoenix Bios, replaced the Intel chip with an NEC V30 chip, then put in a "Tiny Turbo" card, which was an 80286 chip on a 8 bit card.

I remember my 2400 baud modem, then I upgraded to a lightening fast 9600 baud modem! Man, those ASCII graphics on those BBS's really downloaded fast!

Compuserve cost me 12 or 18 dollars an hour, but you could connect at slower speeds, like 300 baud at a less expensive speed to reduce your cost.

I had a program called TAPCIS that let you upload and download message threads and software all in a batch, then hang up, and you could read all the threads in whatever forums you selected offline, then reply offline, and reconnect and upload and download all again.

Those were the days when SOFTWARE was fast, and HARDWARE was slow! Now we have FAST Hardware, and SLOW software!

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
Ha! I got ya all beat. My first computer was a Timex Sinclair. 2k RAM, optional cassette (audio) tape storage drive, rf terminal output for connection to a t.v. (black & white), a membrane keyboard (integral) and B.A.S.I.C language ONLY. Clock Speed? Well let's just say megahertz was a ways off then. Speed was measured by counting the electrons as they jumped from and-or gates...

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
Whoops! Didn't see Sigman's post. Guess I wasn't the only victim here!

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Rooster:
Ha! I got ya all beat. My first computer was a Timex Sinclair. 2k RAM, optional cassette (audio) tape storage drive, rf terminal output for connection to a t.v. (black & white), a membrane keyboard (integral) and B.A.S.I.C language ONLY. Clock Speed? Well let's just say megahertz was a ways off then. Speed was measured by counting the electrons as they jumped from and-or gates...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Definitely got ME beat
smile.gif
I had a ZX80 and after that, a ZX Spectrum for awhile, followed by an Apple IIe for the longest time. But WOW - the Apple IIE used floppies!
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if I don't count the Vic 20
icon15.gif
, the first "real" computer I owned was an IBM/AT clone made by CompuAdd. It had a 286 Intel processor, 4MB of ram [upgraded from 2MB], 40MB HDD and no modem! I ran MSDOS 5.0 [CRASH PROOF!!!] as the operating system and drove the world's noisiest dot-matrix printer with it. I also [like BuddTX] paid nearly $2000 for the system.
shocked.gif

Dan

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there is a Toshiba T1200 laptop in here (i8086 4.11MHz, 640K memory, 20Mb HD, 720K floppy, lovely monochrome screen) running MS-DOS 3.0, and I STILL USE IT for word processing. OK, only because our power goes out so darn often and it runs off batteries...darn near indestructable too. Even if the backlight on the screen (EL membrane I assume?) makes a very strange humming noise, which increases in pitch if you turn the brightness down. This sound like behaviour of an early version of this type of device? (1988 in this case).

Zel.

chetvaldes

Newly Enlightened
My first computer was a KIM-1 computer kit. It was a training board for engineers making the transition from designing descrete gate chip systems to the new "microprocessor" technology. It had an 8 bit microprocessor, a 6502, running at 1 megahertz, the same one the early Apples used, and 1K of onboard ram. It was programmed in machine language using hexadecimal format, and came with several thick manuals explaining the various op codes and addressing modes. The output was by a 6 digit 7 segment LED display, with provision for connecting an ASR 33 teletype for easier input and hard copy. A "long" program may be several hundred bytes long! The programmer learned how to manipulate the output ports to turn on/turn off devices, make audio tones, accept input, display data on the LED display, even play games by programming the individual LED segments. I actually used this computer for printing up bills using a primitive word processing program I wrote. Programs could be stored and input by cassette tape or teletype paper punch tape. I spent a year learning how to program and operate this primitive machine, but it was a valuable experience. I still have it somewhere, and the teletype too.

Latest posts