Gas RC watching may be more fun than owning

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
A guy at work bought a $400 RC Truck today. 1/8th scale, gas, Nitro, 4wd. By the time he bought fuel, a starter and batteries he was in for over $500. I helped him get it ready, not much to it. I was amazed at how fast the thing is. I liked the fact it had electric start and brakes. The first 5 minutes watching him drive it made me want one.

Then, he wrecked it. 6-7 minutes and still on the first tank of fuel the body was destroyed. He drove it under a car at full speed. It still runs but his first repair bill came a little too quick for me. I think watching them and laughing when the big dollar rig takes a spill is more fun than owning one and far les expensive unless the guy that wrecks it knocks your teeth out because you laughed at his misfortune.

The moral of the story is…Don't stand right next to the guy that just spent $500 because you are definitely going to laugh when he breaks his new toy.

OBTW: No he didn't hit me or even try, I was well away from the action.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That. Sucks. I am amazed it still even works. I have seen a few of those in action. They are outragously cool looking. They can go pretty fast from what I have heard 40-50mph sometimes. Gas powered it awesome too. Never have to wait for a charge time or anything of that sort

Cameron

DaFiend

Enlightened
I've got a clip of an RC jumping a house. Cant remeber how long it is though. if someone wants to host it i can show you. it got pretty wrecked.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my off road electric buggy goes over 45 mph and out acelerates most 400 500 dollar gas buggys.

it weighs 2 3/4 pounds with battery

it runs for about 5 - 6 minutes on 1 charge

I have 4 - 8cell 3.5 ah nimh packs.

and it is very tough lots of titanium - carbon fibre - nylon and aluminum.

I chase cats down concrete stairways

If I hit a curb squarely at the right speed it hops up onto the sidewalk(sloped heavy duty nylon bumper)

I have hit very solid objects at very high speeds with little or no damage most of the time.(battery flies off of car some times)

brushless motors rule

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got an RC-10 B3 somewhere in my closet. IVe had plenty of the high-dollar gas powered ones though, I kinda miss my T-Maxx.

Shane

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there is one kind of nitro car(Ofna I think) that can hit almost 80 MPH. question is, how do you control it when it's goin that fast?

Funny story. That really sucks though.

unnerv

Enlightened
yeah, the faster you go, the more damage you can do, and the learning curve is pretty steep in the begining. I spent a whole lotta bucks fixing my cars until I learned how to drive them. Now that I am better driver I rarely have breakages unless I do something stupid like this. Even though all this all I ended up replacing was a puctured muffler (HA aluminum) and a couple of spur gears.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I remember getting a "Losi" truck a while ago. Probably spent around $300 + or - on the whole package getting it going. It was the most fragile RC car/truck I've ever owned. Right off the bat I clipped the front wheel on something and almost tore it off. After waiting over a week for the local shop to get the parts in it was quickly sold. My brother had a $50.00 "Grasshopper" which was by Tamya (spelling) I think. He bounced that thing around all day long and it kept comming back for more. These weren't gas cars, sorry but I can relate to the whole crashing experience.

Eric

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently got into gas powered rc trucks and the first thing I did was buy a rollcage and a few other parts to toughen it up a little. Haven't had anything break yet, and I drive it like a nut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My first time out with it I flipped it about 30 times on the pavement, I've improved my driving since then but not that much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
i found a link of the RC house jump already on the net, so here it is. This is crazy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, my old gas powered RC buggy...no idea how old it is, little .21cc Vico glowplug engine. Body? What body? That disappeared years before I even got it...antenna? Bit of metal coathanger, fuel tank? Er...not sure where that came from - isn't original though!...still goes like stink though! Presently "off the road" thanks to a broken steering linkage though. Not sure what to do about that. Firstly, I can't find spares, secondly, I couldn't afford them even if I could find them...That happened when a cat managed to knock it off the shelf in the shed, not even a battle scar from in use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good thing here is, that even if I did break it, at least I wouldn't be out many $100's, would still be pretty gutted though. It looks a mess, is a pain of a thing to get started, and is nowhere near as quick as anything modern, but it's mine, and has been mine for a long time. The centimental value's there.

In th gas V electric field though, think it has to be gas. Purely from a runtime point of view rather than anything else. And the fact that you can play with it in the snow too (well, one the age of mine you can anyway! there's only one electronics box! and the servos as well enough greased to be pretty immine to the wet stuff)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
THat house jump looked like an Ofna, Mugen, or Thunder Tiger 1/8'th scale. About $500 worth of buggy there if you dont have too many aftermarket parts on it. I had a Mugen 1/8'th scale with a Novarossi .21 in it. It was fast, only drove it twice, lol. I got a lot more play out of my T-maxx, my 2 Traxxas Nitro Hawks, and my Associated RC-10 B3 and T3. Id like to have a nitro 4x4 or "stadium truck" again.

That guy with the B-52 should have known better then to fly in all that wind. those engines you're LUCKY if you can find them under $3,000 used each.

Shane

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to buy tyco and nikkon cars already assembled. It was fairly common for me to send one down a gutter and cause it to not work any more or break an A arm and it wont steer.

I picked up a mag for those cars and i saw one with dual brushless motors with 60k red line rpms that could do 60mph highway speed or flip over on to its top if you accellerate too fast.