FlexM@g: 3 watt or 5 watt?

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
So I modded my first M@g the other day (3C, lux3, DD) and wow, the bug has hit. So I got to thinking about using the one of the Flex boards from taskled.com, which I had used in a previous build (side note here: if you haven't delt with the Flex boards or georges80 before, I highly recomend both. Great guy, great boards).
Anyway, realizing that someone had to have done this before, I took a look around and found this and this. So now I have been debating between the 5 or the 3 watt, and I thought I would ask here and see what others have tried, or even better, anyone who has done both and which they like better. Also, I thought it would be a nice chance to share configs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks all!

Dave

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen both. And I like the 5watt better. Wall of light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ModaMag has all kinds of mods like this. His latest are tri-lux and quad miniFatMag. PM him for more details.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture is worth a thousand words ... but how about 2 pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

xflash033zl.th.jpg

FlexMag-T @ 1000mA -> Mini FatMag @ 1200mA
Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

xflash045ue.th.jpg

FlexMag-T @ 1000mA -> Mini FatMag @ 1200mA
Canon A80 | Manual | ISO100 | Shutter 1/10s | Aperature F5.0 | Auto White balance

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of cells would you like to use in the light rechargeable or disposable and how long do you need it to run in regulation. This will give us a better idea for suggestions as the LuxIII and LuxV both work well with the nFlex driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Later
Kelly

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the M@g light, you have a lot of reflector to work with. The Lux III mod is nice and throws a long way, but as a practical matter, the 5W is more useable. The hotspot is nice and big and will light up anything that you could possibly want to see.

I'd go with the 5W and run the emitter at a comfortable 750mA or so. There's really no need to drive a 5W to over an amp, especially since going over an amp doesn't get you much of an improvement in output that is worth the extra heat, reduced emitter life, and reduced runtime.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not be disappointed with the LuxV 1000mA 8AA setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
I has been planning on using one of the 8aa to 2d converters with nihm rechargabled. As for runtime, I was hoping to get about 1.5 hours regulated runtime.
Thanks,

Dave

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
A LuxIII with 8 1800mAh cells will get you way over 3 hours run time in regulation with the nFlex set to 1000mA.

This is a runtime graph I made using that set up, each vertical line in the graph represents 30 minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8XAAnFlex.jpg

If you go with the LuxV look for a LED with a low Vf in the S...5.91V - 6.39V or T...6.39V - 6.87V range this will keep the ligh in regulation longer.

Later
Kelly