the encounter of the FM_Mag85 and the local PD

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all:

Not satisfied with the garden variety Mag85, I followed Ginseng's recommendation and bought some 1650 NIMH AA's and a Fivemega 3" head. So basically I have what I call the TORCH since with the large head it sure looks like one...

So I installed the 3" head, when the bulb is properly centered, this thing just threw like there was no tomorrow.

Within a minute, my local sherriff's patrol car drove by as I was testing the FM-Mag85 out, they slammed on the brakes, threw the car into reverse and stopped in front of me to ask about the light. and they instinctively used their car mounted search light for comparison adn turns out the 3" head produces a brighter hot spot at 50 yards!!! The female sherriff said, "dang, this is better than ANY Surefires I have ever seen", to which I replied, "that's what I built it for..."

Ahh..life is good. Can't wait for the Mag623 to turn out in the same platform...

Nick

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

How much is the super 3" Turbohead again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

pal251

Newly Enlightened
was you nice enough to offer to build the nice officer one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
What is a FM-Mag85 ? Is it much brighter then Mag85 ?

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pal251 said:
was you nice enough to offer to build the nice officer one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

he was gonna get a few "get out of jail free" cards in exchange for building the light

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin: it was way too much, but worth every penny.

pal251: He actaully asked me to build one after he heard that I spent <200 for the whole setup, but I respectafully declined since i work in securities and I sure don't want to lug this thing on my belt...and the chance of instant flashing kinda scared him away...well, that and the fact that it would probably TOO bright for 98% of his work.

Vrt: FM-mag85 is the term I coined my mag since about 140 dollars worth of parts of the 200 dollar light came from fivemega(the guys is depleting my bank account faster than I can say "do I really need that?" It casts a much tighter beam of the 1185, which is more of a very narrow flood than a true spot in the stock size head with the-guess what-fivemega aluminum reflector.

Nick

paulr

Flashaholic
I think FM-Mag85 means a normal Mag85 with FiveMega's 3" reflector head. Same total output as a Mag85 but tighter beam because of the bigger reflector.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that's gotta make you smile... when a reasonable sized flashlight outshines a 12V car mounted spotlight!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd love to check out one of those 3" heads/reflectors but can't justify the money anytime soon.