Between PM6 (Xe) Vs SL-Scorpian (Xe)

DIYLite

Newly Enlightened
Which one is better? In term of throw? In term of brightness? Replacement cost?
Any recommendation who is the best dealer for each?

Thanks!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned most of the 2x123 Xenon lights in this price class and in my opinion, the Pelican is the 'nicest' as far as fit and finish and general feel. To my eyes, they seemed about equal in throw and total output though QuickBeam's testing found the Pelican to have more throw and the Streamlight to have slightly more total output. I liked the Pelican more and I didn't care for the rubber coating on the Streamlight. Since I knew I was going to sell it, I didn't bother removing it.

Also don't forget the Dorcy Spyder which is in the same general class as these two. These are avaiable at some Lowes stores for about $20 or at Costco stores at 2 for $28 I believe.

There is also excellent Surefire G2 has about comparable output but less throw but is considerably lighter weight and has the ability to upgrade to more output with the P61 lamp. The near G2-copy Brinkmann Maxfire (available at many Walmarts for $20) is also a good choice and can use the Surefire lamps with no modification.

If I owned none of these lights and could only own one, it would be the Surefire or the Brinkmann. I like the stock clickie of the Brinkmann but would probably go for the Surefire.

StuU

Enlightened
I have both the Scorpion and the PM6 xenon. Comparing the two, beam by beam, they are near identical in brightness and throw. The Pelican is a more solid unit as the bulb is solidly mounted in an aluminum module/reflector and should give long long bulb life. Also, the Pelican module is very inexpensive at $5.00/each. The Scorpion has a rated bulb life of 3-5 hours I think but has a built-in replacement bulb.

For most purposes, I would look at the Pelican M6 led because this is the most reliable setup in most cases. This light has a luxeon led which never burns out. It's runtime will double that of the standard PM6 xenon. It runs on lithiums and has no internal electronics to fail. The throw on this light is definitely in the tactical range but is also OK for general utility purposes.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I had both,lost the Scorp months ago never bothered to replace it. I like the PM6 better the rubberized coating on the Scorp made it difficult to pull out of my pocket the PM6
came with a sheath. Light output for me the PM6 was better but not by much. Honestly do not remember where I bought it
perhaps Batterystation not 100% sure about that.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DIYLite

Newly Enlightened
Sound like SL-Scorp exterior rubberized coating is not so good in the pocket. Any happy owner of SL-TL2/TL3? Are they much preferred than PM6-Xe?

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
My TL-3 is not getting a lot of use. It is very bright, has a nice beam and is well made, but the 3x123 format is just too long to haul around comfortably. It might just be me, but I also don't like the way that the batteries rattle when the switch is backed out to the momentary or off postitions.
I also think I have about all the lights mentioned in this thread. The Scorpion is my current favorite. Not quite as much throw as the PM6, but a little smaller and still very bright. The PM6 is built like a tank (a Swiss tank!). The Spyders are cheap and bright and worth twice what I paid for them. The don't have quite the output of the other lights mentioned and have an annoying shadow from the bulb pins in the beam. Great glove-box lights.
My next acquistion will be a G2. I really like the idea of the P-60/90 lamp options and the light weight. Add some R-123s and a BugOutGear LED drop-in, this should be very flexible package. It will probably replace the Scorpion in my briefcase.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Rub the rubber sleave on the Scortion down with some 200 grit sandpaper. That will take the sharp edges off and make the rubber sleave much smoother. Rubbing down the rubber sleave with baby power helps also.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
There are currently three 2x123 lights that throw noticeably (and in some cases significantly) further than any other 2x123 lights. They are the Pelican M6 xenon, TACM III and ASP Taclite (original with "set and forget" internal focus)

Brightnorm

DIYLite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Awesome review BN! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif
So, can anyone point to me where to find the best dealer/individual for PM6? TIA