Suggestions for a newbie mod project

Malpaso

Enlightened
As with most of my hobbies, I came here for a bit of information and am already looking to jump in with both feet. I'd like to start a mod project, but have no idea where to begin. I have no electronics background, but have learned the basics from HAM radio. I am reasonably mechanically inclined, but mostly with things I can see (wood and steel) as opposed to things I can't see (electricity). I have a couple of friends in the electronics industry to help me, although obviously I'd like to do as much as possible on my own. I have tools and access to tools such as saws, drills and soldering equipment, although not top end machine tools like a lathe. So I'm looking for something relatively easy (for my ego) and inexpensive (for when I ruin the first couple iterations), although I don't mind paying for good quality components. My interests lean toward smaller pocket and belt lights. Any suggestions?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
yeah, putting together a sandwich is pretty good surface mount soldering experience. it depends on how in depth you want to go. if it's just drop-ins and machining or actually designing, drilling, soldering, and assembling circuit boards. cause u might need a needle tip soldering iron, definitely a multimeter, good flux, fine solder, maybe a drill press...

you can buy a ready made sandwich if you dont want to get into the nitty gritty of electronics and want to do more mechanical modifications like cutting down reflectors and boring out flashlight tubes, making retaining rings, rethreading stuff and drilling and fitting........and wasting a lot of money, which is a given.

Leon

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I've had great success with Lambda's kits. His latest one being the "MiniPro DIY kit " or as he first introduced it " The HD kit you've all been waiting for".

Or putting together a sandwich from The Sandwich Shoppe doesn't require any real knowlege of electronics. The main board in those drivers come already populated. A little bit of soldering and gluing and voila. Stick it in a MiniMag along with an optic of your choosing and your finished mod #1.