Pfungstadt?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My ancestors, on my father's side, are supposed to have come from Pfungstadt in the 1780's. Are any of my German brothers here at CPF familiar with this town? I think it might now be considered a suburb of Darmstadt. Someday, I'd like to visit there. Danke.

Geoff

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, correct. It is a relatively small town near Darmstadt, which is near Frankfurt/M for those who are unfamiliar with German geography /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Never been there though, and doesn't sound too impressive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
It's cool that you Americans can track back your history so long ...

bernhard

DarkLight

Enlightened
Good luck on finding your ancestors....

I lived in Germany 3 years in the service in a little town called Morbach,
nice thing it was close to Bernkastel-Kues,

Winefests all summer long with hubsch madchen....
ganz gut..

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my PhD in Darmstadt. Pfungstadt is basically a district of Darmstadt; actually one of the high quality/expensive areas. Nice little town, if you don't mind some small town flair. One of my former colleagues works (and lives) in Pfungstadt for a high tech company distributing research equipment (Atomic Force and Scanning Tunneling Microscopes, to be exact). So despite the strange demeanor of the locals, they are not too far behind.

EDIT: Just remembered: One of the many things to visit there is the ruin of a castle on a hill just outside of Pfungstadt. The castle belonged to the family of Frankenstein; no kidding. It is supposed to be the inspiration for Mary Shelley's novel.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Hmmm. "Strange demeanor of the locals." Frankenstein's castle. Maybe this explains my afflictions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geoff

chrisse242

Enlightened
One of my relatives used to be a priest in Pfungstad some years ago. Nothing special about this town but it might make a good place to start a tour round the south of germany. Some interesting towns and regions are not too far away.

Cheers, Chrisse