NEW L1 LumaMax vs 4thGen KL1 brightness?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a long shot as most people may not own both of these lights, but I'm wondering about the brightness of these two solutions:

Surefire has their newest L1 LumaMax with the TIR optic that very closely resembles the new 4th-generation KL1. They BOTH look similar to :
kl1-turbohead.jpg
(4th gen KL1 on L4 body pictured)

Pictures of the newest L1 and KL1 can be found in their 2005 catalog as well.

Their catalog quotes the L1's high beam at 15 lumens (the same figure as the older L1s) and the new E1L Outdoorsman (E1e+KL1 as a package deal) as 25 lumens. Having owned the new KL1, specifically the one pictured above, I would definitely say it's 30 lumens.

Is the newest L1 driven as hard as the new KL1? I get the feeling it may also be 30 lumens on high, but they may have missed it out. If so, then I'd be interested in a new L1 instead of an E1L because it's only $25 more for the two-stage switching.

PS: I'm also interested in knowing the high-beam drive current of ANY L1 LumaMax, old/new doesn't matter, but if possible, let me know what its vintage is. Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cia

Newly Enlightened
I have both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My L1 is just as bright as the 4thGen KL1.
I would say the L1 may even seem brighter, but I think that is just because it a "Whiter" light. At least it looks whiter to me.

I have two of the new L1.
If you did not see I have one listed in the B/S/T forum.
Awesome light, I love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 purchased from SF in December is driven at 390 mA. It has the old style bezel, but a very white high dome LED.

cia

Newly Enlightened
Photo of my L1.
It is my all time favorit light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

0442b8ec-2d61-4ccc-9e06-c50557fa582d.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KL-1 on a VG/FB-1 body seemed brighter with more throw. But it too could very well be a good the lotto, and whiteness of the KL-1. VDG

Ralf

Enlightened
... does that mean, that the new L1 has got a
new electronics inside as well? maybe the same
as in the KL1, which would make sense from the
manufacturing point of view ...

Cheers
Ralf

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was hoping that it would be just as bright, that way I can justify the extra $25 for the two-stage switching.

Hmm...yet another way to spend money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
for those with the new E1L
What did you receive for the package? LOTC? or clicky? or both? In the catalog, surefire put LOTC but in the 'accesories', they also put Z57 clicky (included) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

secondly, is the head of L1 can be used on E1L (or all E series body in that matter)
How about the tailcap?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The E1L comes with the Z57 Clickie TailCap.
The Z52 LockOut TailCap can be used instead of the Z57 and can be ordered as an accessory if required.

The Z57 can also be Locked Out to disable the push button pressure [click] switch.

The L1 bezel should not be attached to the E1e/E1L body or any other body other than the L1 body for that matter.

The Z62 two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap for the L1/L2/A2 etc fit and function only on the L1/L2/A2 etc.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
I got it, loud and clear.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks Size15's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think was the first to post that I "bought"( as in I have no "in" with SF, nor would i want one) a E1L about a month ago.(it was a dealer display model, he didn't dig SF and sold it to me VERY cheap)
As much as i like the E1e body, i really prefer the vital gear FB-1 1X123 better. smaller, (a couple of mm's taller then a LSH-P)
a much less bulky package, better machining and HA on the VG body,(see my post on the "SF quality?" thread) great bez down clip which i use to hang it from my shirt coller, and stands on end even with the clip attached IMHO this is the bomb at the moment! VDG

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
My KL1 (latest gen) seems ot be all about throw. I've described it as being like a 'light sabre' and it has impressive output for its size. The Q3 beam has a lot more spill and is probably more useful for general use. I EDC an FB1/KL1, but use the Q3 if I'm up and about at night.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JanCPF said:
Sorry, a bit of toppic, but will the new L1 run on a R123?

Jan

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing???

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Glow Bug said:
[ QUOTE ]
JanCPF said:
Sorry, a bit of toppic, but will the new L1 run on a R123?

Jan

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing???

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have a new L1, but three of the old one. The electronic driver makes a sinistrous pitched noise when powered with a single 3.7 Li-ion. The L1 keeps in regulation, but I do not think the designer meant that loud noise to be normal.

The new L1 can be different... I would buy "one" in this case.

Anthony

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the KL1 is brighter, why not just buy a L1 Tailcap, and put it on your E1L?