Rechargeable Li- Ion R123's In Arc LS Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Rechargeable Li- Ion R123\'s In Arc LS Mod?

I've been considering ordering one of the RCR123 chargers from Battery Station.
Are these safe to run in the modded LS?
At 667 mA the light gets quite hot already. Is the 3.6V (4.2V hot off charger) higher voltage a concern?

Blair

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Rechargeables In Arc LS Mod?

Blair, as far as I know, it should be OK. You may want to edit the title of your post to indicate that you are inquiring about Li-ion (R123) batteries.

Some searching will probably yield results too. I know this has been discussed here before.
Peter

rugbymatt

Enlightened

I have been running my LS mod (by LitFuse) for a week or so on the battery station rechargeables and have not had a problem yet. The light has been great although I think it is a 611mA. LitFuse might remember. The point being very nice bright light with the rechargeables.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've actually search this topic before and it always goes back to the Vf of the LED. I also don't believe they ever discuss the modded Arc LS's.

I have a modded Arc LS 750 ma with a TWOJ. Will it be safe with a rechargeable cr123's? Does the 750 ma even matter? I only use it for a minute or two at a time. I'm not as worried about the LED as I am about the circuits. The LED I can replace; the circuits can not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW what are the differences between the three and soon to be four rechargeable cr123's available. What's the difference between short-protected and overcharge protected?

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

It all depends on the vf of the led. I think TWOJ is the lowest you should go. CY just posted in another thread that he smoked a TWOH trying to run it on a li-ion cell. TWOK should be perfect for this application.

AW

Newly Enlightened

A little off topic, I have been running a R2H / BB400 on a R123 with no problem so far. Maybe I am lucky.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have run my ARC LSHF-P on a R123. The bin is a R3H and it handled the 4.02V fully charged R123 just fine.
YMMV

mut

bluewater

Newly Enlightened

I just read the entire thread "Q3 Rechargable!! - The Q3-R Forum ".
Someone help me understant the vf thing. My Ls mod (when it gets here) will have a TWOJ in it. Does a TWOH run at the same brightness, but uses more current....therefore Cy fried his? And a TWOK moves less current than a TWOJ...so is a bit safer for the led?

I still can't decide if I should risk these in the mod?
I'd hate to toast Peters hard work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

H runs at a lower voltage compared to J. H is 3.03-3.27 volts. J is 3.27-3.51, K is 3.51-3.75. A fully charged li-ion is 4.2 volts. They draw the same current but having a lower vf will be more efficient and run cooler.

cy

Flashaholic

please note Hbin rating for one watt is different from a 3wattt hbin rating. 350 milliamps VS 700 milliamps.

a one watt Hbin when driven at say 750 milliamps when using li-ion will no longer be Hbin vf. to check simply measure voltage across lux when lit.

I've measured 14500 on my fluke 87 right 15amps or just before My fuse blows. it's safe to assume 10+ amps coming off R123 depending on which version.

smoked my Mr. Bulk original SNII by driving 2x 18650. the Xbin output luxeon died after aprox. 15 seconds.

smoked a TWOH mounted in std ARC LSH-P board, when testing li-ion use. lasted aprox. 15 sec's too.

when vin exceeds VF light is in direct drive with only burden of circuit to regulate available current.

if you have a precious TWOH 3watt don't risk killing it by using a li-ion cell. it may or may not survive...

Status
Not open for further replies.