Lithium cells and accu. on a plane -question.

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
How many CR123A cells or Li-Ion accu. can I take to a plane flying from USA to Europe ? Should they be placed in checked baggage on in carry-on ? I read some papers about lithium amount allowed on a plane without special package, but I want simple and dependable answer.

Is it dangerous to put CR123A cells or Li-Ion accu. to checked baggage, can it damage cells or accu. in any way ? Is a baggage section of a plane lower pressurized than passanger section ?

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
Maybe someone point me to a place (for example aviation forum or e-mail address) where I can ask and get dependable answer. I've done some research, but still I'm not sure what is allowed on board a plane and what isn't (with respect to battery). Is it allowed to take box containing 12 pieces of 123A cells + few in flashlights on board ? What about Li-Ion, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd accu. ?

Grubbster

Enlightened
I flew about 6 weeks ago and had not problem carrying 123 battery lights on the plane. I would probably remove them from the light for carry on or checking. It's hard to get info from the airlines. Their help lines are not very helpful.

rwolff

Enlightened
This was for a domestic flight, but last year I had no problem bringing 15 LiIon 1800 mAH cells (laptop and 2 battery packs, 1 was 3600 mAH and the other was 5400). Still, I'd say that a laptop and a spare battery is likely to be something the security people are used to, while a box of batteries isn't.