I think an X3T Lux V was just murdered...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Yes, you read the title line correctly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It was in my MR-X, which normally runs a 12 AA battery adapter in a 3D mag body. The battery adapter is configured to run two parallel sets of 6 AA batteries in series.

I was showing my MR-X off to a co-worker along with a Mag3D modded with a WA01185 bulb and one of Fivemega's 9AA to 3D adapters which was loaded with NiMh. This adapter runs all 9 batts in series, and mine is currently showing 11v.

Both lights are Pewter Mag3Ds, so the only visable difference is the DD LED above the switch on the MR-X or from the front end.

We had both lights open and on the table so that I could show him both custom battery packs. He was impressed. Not knowing what he was doing, he put the 9AA NiMh pack into the MR-X, closed it up, and pulled the trigger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I thought he had the WA01185 light, and when I noticed he didn't it was too late.

Anyway, with the 9AA NiMh pack at ~ 11v installed in the MR-X, he turned it on. It came on looking normal at first, then after about 1 second it dimmed drastically and the DD LED came on. I grabbed it from him and shut it off. It seems like this all happened in slow motion, looking back on it.

I removed the pack and inserted the correct one. I got the same results, dim Luxeon and DD LED on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I tried to apply the proper amount of power directly to the Luxeon's leads, and still get the same result. What is weird is that the DD LED still comes on when I do this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Anyway, I did further testing. What I am about to write next makes me feel sick. Really. Just sick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif I disconnected the Luxeon from the MR circuit, and applied power again from a PS (6.7v @ 650mA), and the Luxeon still only lights dimly. I monitored the voltage and amperage while I tested it, and the voltage remained constant at 6.7v, but even though the Lux is lighting dimly, it is only passing 0.997mA! Not even 1mA!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I am afraid the Luxeon is DEAD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That being said, I'm not sure what could have happened. I'm pretty sure that the MR circuit is supposed to dissipate any voltage above Vf though it's FET as heat, and is good for 5-20v input. I have sent a PM to Burnt_Retinas about this. It appears to me that the Luxeon received more voltage than it should have. Before it went dim, it looked just like it always had before. It didn't ramp up in brightness and then go dim, which is what I have always experienced when a Luxeon fails. What's weird is that the LS still lights completely (no bars are out in the grid), only very dimly (you can look right at it with the naked eye without any problem).

Anyway, this is a big loss for me. This LS cost me about $50, and not to mention how rare it was!!! I know I won't be able to replace it for awhile, especially considering how hard it has been to get good 5 watters lately. I would like to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif my co-worker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif It was innocent enough, but he doesn't really have a grasp on what he has done (even if it was an accident).

I think I'm the first to have a smoked X3T. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

So, who wants to try and cheer me up? I'm so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

cy

Flashaholic
MAJOR BUMMER...../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

theepdinker

Enlightened
OH NO !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm the first to have a smoked X3T.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's any consolation, I have a friend, known to us by his initials, who smoked about 4 or 5 X3T's I gave him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are going to smoke something, shouldn't it be expensive and rare? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm the first to have a smoked X3T.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's any consolation, I have a friend, known to us by his initials, who smoked about 4 or 5 X3T's I gave him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
4 or 5 of them!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif (I'm pretty sure I know who it is) But it was my ONLY one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif At least I'm in good company. I think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
If you are going to smoke something, shouldn't it be expensive and rare? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
True. At least that line made me laugh.

cy

Flashaholic
it probably won't make you feel any better, but I just smoked a TWOH trying to run a li-ion cell../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the regulator goes wide open when power is first applied, then ramps down to proper current regulation. It doesn't hurt too much on 6 cells, but 9 cells would pump a lot of current through the luxeon.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It seems like I smoke every other LuxIII I get my paws on... dat2zip kindly shared some "secrets" which hopefully will help. (Nah, they're not secrets, just great advise on how not to kill Lux's.) Thx, Wayne!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
As I recall, a CPF'er named "InTheDark" had microscopic technical rebuild capability using equipment at his workplace, and could actually rebuil fried Luxeons. I have a couple of old 5W SEs he did, and they run just fine now. Perhaps you could try and look him up somehow. I no longer have his contact info.

cy

Flashaholic
whooaaa, rebuiding a luxeon. An Xbin would certainly be worth it. would like his info too

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing that Xbin at the DFW meet last Sept. in the pewter mag.
Hopefully, someone can microscopically rebuild it.
I got a refresher on what an X3T looks like last night when I built a 3c magmod with 4 cr123's and a 1 amp georges80 buck circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang LEDmodMan. This really, really sucks. I know how you feel. I've had to scrap three custom chargers that I built from MAX712's. Somewhere North of $150 and 40 hours of work and design. And the very first one I built for brightnorm worked fine, and is still working fine.

Roast some coffee and try to let it all wash over you. Try laughing, even though you feel sick. The sort of "hahaha hee ahhhh yeah. Clasic. Lovely" kind of moment.

And I'll observe a moment of silence for the passing of such a light source as this.

Sorry, LEDmodMan. Really sorry.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
3rd_Shift_Lights said:
I remember seeing that Xbin at the DFW meet last Sept. in the pewter mag.
Hopefully, someone can microscopically rebuild it.
I got a refresher on what an X3T looks like last night when I built a 3c magmod with 4 cr123's and a 1 amp georges80 buck circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Only an amp? That is nothing compared to MR-X which runs the X3T at 1.5 amps in the stock setting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
it probably won't make you feel any better, but I just smoked a TWOH trying to run a li-ion cell../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if a TWOH would really smoke with a li-ion. Good thing I didn't have the guts to try it.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Well guys, it's pretty well confirmed. The X3T is DEAD!

<font color="brown">R.I.P</font>

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've been in touch with Burnt_Retinas, the designer of the MR circuit that was driving the X3T. He told me that the 11v battery pack that was in the light when the LS died should NOT have harmed anything.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. Better in that it means it wasn't really my co-worker's fault, but worse in that now I'm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif trying to figure out WTF went wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

And to pour a little salt in my already painful wounds, my wife accidentally drowned our Canon Elph digital camera yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif I completely dissasembled it (except for the lens group) and dried it out, and now that it is back together it does work, but won't focus properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I'm on a heck of a bad luck streak lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif USPS lost a $300 package (at least it was insured), my daughter had to go to the hospital when she was sick, my car died, my X3T died, my camera drowned, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

I've been in touch with Burnt_Retinas, the designer of the MR circuit that was driving the X3T. He told me that the 11v battery pack that was in the light when the LS died should NOT have harmed anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has he hooked the circuit up to an o-scope to see if there is an inrush current problem during the first few ms of operation?

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Evan,
I don't know. I'm also wondering if that might be the issue that caused the LS to die, especially since the light was running DD with the first pack, then the second one was balls-out and the LS went from bright to dim so fast (~1 sec).