Magcharger v Tigerlight?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've been thinking of getting one of these lights for a while now and am interested to know what sort of beams they put out? i.e., do either of them suffer badly from artifacts etc?
Any opinions welcome,
Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're about to start a war, both are very good lights with their own proponents.

js and I have differing opinions on this, though we agree that the Surefire A2 is the best EDC yet made!

The Tiger is smaller, brighter in the stock version. The Mag throws further, and is more easily modified to upgrade it.

The focus of the MagCharger vs. the fixed focus but very prettty beam of the Tiger is debatable for eternity without resolution.

Bill

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even going to post anything about which is better here, but I will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't rule out the Streamlight SL-20X w/ 35X lamp, a Streamlight-approved, fully stable for long burns, setup. The beam is smoother than the stock MC and Tiger, IMHO. Charger is nicer, too, without any harsh clicking/clamping action. This has been the mainstay of police all over for many a year and is worth considering. Two nice points: 1. The SL-20X has an easier to use switch than the other two lights (I have/had both) if you have gloves on. 2. SL has a very cool electronic dimmer tailcap for the SL series that dims the light down to around 2D level or less. It also turns it into a wicked fast/bright strobe, best I've seen.

This doesn't make the SL better, but worth consideration as it's in a similar class with similar batts.

Let the wars commence! Fire!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magcharger also runs for 2 hours in stock form and that sometimes is very useful. Mag will have more artifacts, but a little better throw. There are a lot of mods, but simply swapping the bulb of the mag to the WA 1160 gets you lots of lumens and it takes a lot of effort before the tigerlight catches up to that. Eh, I thought I was going to swap out the bulbs, but the regular mag bulb is already very bright that I never bothered. Plus, a 2 hour run-time is great.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill and cheesehead,

There is no way that the stock MC throws farther than the stock TL. There's a huge difference in foot candles and the stock TL beam is very tight. Checking out beamshots, it seems that the stock MC isn't even in the same league as the stock TL.

BUT, I haven't ever used a MC of any sort, so my opinion is more or less just informed speculation.

BUT, I'm pretty sure that bwaites has never used a TL of any sort. Right?

Anyway, the real thing to note is that the TL can be had with pepper spray, and that the MC is very, very easily upgraded to nearly 500 lumens with a $5 Welch Allyn 1160 lamp. Whereas the TigerLight has no simple drop in mod. You need to replace the battery pack to turn it into a SuperLight. And as far as I know, I'm the only one who makes high current capable TL packs. Kind of a bottle neck.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

I love TigerLights and have two of them. I think they are the best in their class. Your upgraded battery pack just enhances the quality already there. Add some high power lamps and things just get better and better.

However, I have done side by side comparisons of a fully charged TigerLight and Mag Charger. I am sorry to say that the Mag Charger is able to focus the beam down to a small spot that out shines the TigerLight.

The TigerLight lights up a bigger area and is preferred in short to medium distances, but at the far end of reach of the light, the Mag Charger will put more light on the target.

Boy, it's real hard for me to say this...

Tom

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
js is right, I have not seen a live side to side, but there have been numerous posts about the throw of the TL vs the MagCharger and Silverfox confirms what I have read many times.

The Mag allows that tiny filament to be focused way down tight and just flat throws it!

Jim I didn't throw in a stock bulb but the USPS was closed by the time I got there, so I'll open the box and throw one in if I can find one!

Bill

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Guys thanks for the comments .... everything you are talking about is going in and the cogs are whirring! However, which of the two has the nicest beam? I mean which will avoid horrible artifacts of type normally associate with the non rechargeable Mags?

Doug

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites and SilverFox,

OK! Sorry about that. I stand corrected and I will keep that in mind from now on. Actually, SilverFox, I remember you telling me this before, but I also remember you saying that focused down that tight that the beam wasn't very useful. Maybe that's why I forgot that the MC has superior throw. Hmm. Anyway. Sorry guys.

As for which one has the nicer beam, I think I'll keep my mouth shut until I actually experience them side by side. But I will say that other than the Gen 1 TL LA, all the stock TL LA's I've played with have been quite nice for a non-orange peel reflectorized LA. Not SF quality, but way better than a stock Mag 2 or 3D light with the holes and artifacts and overall horrible beam.

Now drop in an OP Carley with a WA lamp and the TL is very near to SF quality.

As for the MC, I know that there are custom OP reflectors for it that together with the 1160 make for a lovely beam. The PMR is one = "perfect mag reflector". Made by Otokoyama (sp?), IIRC.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Doug,

If size matters... the TigerLight is more compact.

For durability... the TigerLight lamp is shock buffered, it stays in focus when dropped and you don't have to worry about knocking the bulb out of alignment. The Mag Charger is also durable, but you sometimes have to line things back up again after hard use. I also prefer the way the TigerLight battery pack is attached.

For white wall inspection... Once again I would have to give a nod to the TigerLight. There is some variability in lamps and the beam is not perfect but I prefer it to the Mag Charger's beam. Brightnorm has posted some comments on the variability of the TigerLight lamps. I have two lamps that are very smooth. One is a Gen I that was "sputtered" by Chris at www.Flashlightlens.com , the other is a SL 35X stock lamp with a custom battery pack from Jim to prevent instant flashing. To be quite honest, there are some artifacts in the beam from a stock lamp and they are most noticeable during white wall inspection. In other uses, they are of little to no concern.

If you want to light up an area… the TigerLight is better. The combination of spot and spill is very usable and brings a smile to my face every time I turn it on.

If you want to light up a detail… the Mag Charger is better. The beam of the Mag Charger can be focused down to a precise point that eliminates back scatter from surrounding objects. This is most useful at medium to long distances, but can also be an asset in high ambient light conditions. It is also better in fog.

If aesthetics matter… I think the gold ring on the TigerLight is just "peachy." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the final analysis… I think you should get both… /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Tom

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Tom,
Thanks for your thoughts and advice to get both...if only I could afford it!
I'm beginning to think the TL has the edge but will wait to see if anyone else chips in?
Thanks to everyone so far!
Doug

db

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious if you can sputter the reflector in the MC, using the clear Krylon as described in the 2C mod thread?
Is heat an issue? How obout if an 1160 bulb is used ?
I've not tried sputtering yet a reflector yet.....
Thanks!
Don

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MC is like the chevy 350 V8. a lot can be done with it,
One reason to give it a nod. I ave had a change to play with all three, and they all have therre plus's and minus's, but in term's of pure throw the MC beats all. it's beam at max throw is white, clear, and thick,, not a pin spot like a 2-4 D mag, and makes it very useful. Yep getting
the bulb in line is important but without mods i have not seen many any adjustable focus light do better.
I like the tiger (though i don't own one,) but the streamlight i never really dug it, prefer t the size, cam feel and machining better on the mag.
As was said I think the tiger is maybe better in the flood
and mag is better in throw. both made well, but the mag is got more an edge in after market up grade's and unlike some thing's i have heard and read here on CPF about the Streamlight, the SL has sometimes had charger/batt issues,
where my MC simply needed a new stick after 6-8 yrs, one bulb change, and continued on its merry way. anyhoo, my .02 cents. VDG

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the beam artifacts bother you, one of the Carley reflectors can be modded to fit in the carrier for the MC and still give you flood to focus.

Using a medium orange peel for this you lose a little throw but pick up a lot of smoothness, when you then add the 1160 lamp from WelchAllyn, you have a light with GREAT dependability, Great throw, and a nice smooth beam.

To do the same with a Tigerlight requires a new battery pack, ring potted lamps, and possibly modification of the charger.

That said, the Tigerlight, by all accounts, is exceptional!

My advice, buy both, and sell the one you like least!

Bill

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have both. I used the mag charger for years and years it took more punishment than any light out to. I never had the new 40,000 candlepower bulb for it but it was/is still very bright.
Things I like
1.alot of light with a tight beam
2.parts available everywhere
3.relatively cheap
4.easy to mod
Dont like
1. Heavy and takes up a lot of room on duty belt
2. Adjustable focus. Somehow it nevers seems to be on the
nice tight beam I like.

The tl is relatively new to me but I have been carrying one
in my patrol car for the past few months.

1. shorter length
2. a lot less weight
3. a lot of white light everywhere

Dislike
1. It does not throw as well as the mag or for that matter
my stinger hp. My barn is 1/4 mile from my house. The tl will light it up and everything inbetween. At the same distance my sitnger hp has a lot tighter beam and is brighter though a smaller area.

2. Cost, not just the original purchase price but the price
for replacement parts

3. Parts availability. There are not dealers in every state
much less every bigger city. So you have to order them. That sucks if you loose a bulb and you have to order it.

I think both are excellent flashlights. If the tl had a tighter beam I think it would be perfect though you would have to keep a supply of bulbs for those just in case.
Of course I think you also might look at the stramlight sl20
with the sl35 bulb that is also a nice package but it is as big ans heavy as the mag charger.

makar

Enlightened
the tl has gold plated contacts, nimh batteries and ha III finish.
with the very nice beam I like the tigerlight a lot - one of my favorite lights.

paulr

Flashaholic
Where do the SL20X and Ultrastinger fit into this? Especially with the SL35X lamp in the 20X.