best mod for a 3d mag?

nenofury

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to get 100 lumens out of one of these for less than 50 bucks? I have a few sitting around unused because my smaller lithium powered lights are so much brighter. New to modding and LED's in general, but willing/wanting to learn. Any websites or threads out there with detailed explanations? I searched extensively, but didn't find much for 3d mags. Thanks.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
My first mod was a 3D Mag. Bought a Hotlips heatsink from HotBeam with a TWOK LuxIII. Wire it up direct to the switch. Cut the cam off the reflector. That's it. Quite simple really. Very bright. On fresh alkalines it draws aprox 1.2 amps

cheers,
zwf

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try hotlips.hotbeam.com for the Hotlips-D #5 module. You need a LuxV Luxeon for 120+ lumens. A LuxIII led will give you ~60-65 lumens. If you use 3 x D batteries (NiMh preferred), you will need a Fatman boost converter as well to power the #5 module. I have a couple spare. If you can't afford the converter, you will need the Hotlips-D #3 module (LuxIII though) and don't need any converters....

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st recommendation: Hotlip-D #5 (VX1T) ~120+ lm for $49+s&h
+ Tried and tested solution.
+ Tighter hotspot
- Required additional booster circuit ($16-$25) or battery adapter($15-$34) to get to the correct voltage.

2nd recommendation: PTS-D ($11), 3x Luxeon III ($24), 3x SO20XA reflector ($12) 180+ lms for $47
+ More light, almost X-bin equivalence when Lux3S are used.
+ Better thermal management.
- New product with <20 beta users
- Larger hotspot due to 3x beams
- More power consumption runtime decrease by 40%

3rd recommendation: 1.352.S-Emitter HS ($1+s&h), 1x LuxIII TX1L ($14) ~80+ lm for $15+s&h
+/- Classic: D-size weaker SN2 clone for cheap $$$
+ Tighter hotspot
- hard to install/level HS and drilling is required
- didn't meet the 100+ lumen requirement

The more $$$ you throw in the more lumens/better tint you get. But that could also mean your wife potentially could throw you out.