How does SL 4AA 7LED output compare to X5?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get a general idea about the output, since I've searched this before, but don't recall anything that gave me a good idea of the amount of light. I've been putting off ordering Christmas gifts...had decided on the Tec40 (even bought two to check out), but am thinking that something with more of a flood would be better for the people I'm buying for.
Something for changing a tire, searching the closet, rounding up the kids, and providing light when the power goes out, stuff like that. Plus, everybody that uses them for the first time seems to love LEDs.
Kind of wanted to get the 3C 10 LED SL, but it costs $12 more. For that matter, I'd love to buy everybody an X5, but that adds up fast when you're buying over a dozen of them, and the money tree didn't have many leaves this year...
Photon IIs went over great as small gifts last year, but everybody still has those.
I want to order soon (like tomorrow), and suggested the X5 for comparison because I have one, but any input would be appreciated.
Thanks (and Merry Christmas!
grin.gif
)

If anybody know where there are a bunch of X5s on closeout, that might work, too, though most people go
shocked.gif
when they price 123s.

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
It blows the X5 away! Puts out way more light. More on par with a LS, just a slight dimmer.
You`ll love it
Eric

Wulong

Newly Enlightened
I've received three from Brightguy to give as gifts and I'm very impressed. They do seem to put out more light than the Inova.

I hate to say it, but in some ways I like the SL 4AA LED better than my LS based lights. Too bad none of them are for me.

SuRgE

Enlightened
Yeah, my SL4AA blows my X5T out of the water too! But, the X5T is more of a conversational piece, looks and feels more expensive. If your trying to impress, the X5T might be a better gift.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Something that impresses me about the SL4AA7LED (aside form its carefully maket-researched name) is the lifetime warranty. I have several C Crane/tek lights and 2 Eternalights both w/ lifetime warranties. With what my family puts them through they hold up well but I have had replacements of both. The next light I am likely to buy will be the SL4AA7LED (just rolls off the tongue).
I have 3 CMG Infinities/Ultras haven't had to replace those, yet.
wink.gif

SuRgE

Enlightened
Wits' End

You won't be disapointed. It is really bright and puts out alot of area light. Way more area light than my arc ls or my kl1! The 3c is also great. Has a belt clip and feels real solid for a plastic light. It puts a bit more light out than the 4aa. The 3c along with my 9p/kl3 are my camping lights.
grin.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4AA is a perfect all around light. Doesn't have the bulk of the 3C. So, people who don't carry flashlights will take it with them due to the small size and really good light output.

I gave one to my friend who is an outdoorsman-hunter. He goes in the field for four days( self employed and takes long weekends) at a time. He has used it for two months and has yet to replace the batteries. He also has a ARC LS first and compares it favorably to that expensive light.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Owen:
Christmas gifts...for changing a tire, searching the closet, rounding up the kids, and providing light when the power goes out, stuff like that.
I'd love to buy everybody an X5, but that adds up fast when you're buying over a dozen of them

Photon IIs went over great as small gifts last year, but everybody still has those.
...most people go
shocked.gif
when they price 123s.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How about the PT Attitude? $16 at TTS

Compact, durable, cheap batteries (even NiMHs that the SL 7 LED can't do) this would be a great step up light from last Christmas' Photons.

Or...how about a PT Rage? $9 at TTS

Same body as the Attitude, compact, durable, AAAs and REALLY BRIGHT for a compact light. Highly respected by those posting on this forum. Makes a great light for a ladies purse 'cause of its size and super easy to carry in a pocket or ride in the glove box.

"The best flashlight is the one that you'll actually have with you when you need it!"

The Photons are great for that sort of thing, the Attitude or Rage is a nice step up but still easy to have with you. ...good luck and Merry Christmas!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Or...how about a PT Rage? $9 at TTS

Geez! It's all I can do to not click "buy it now" when you provide a link like that!

MUST CONTROL SELF! (No more ordering until after my Infinity Ultra arrives!)

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the X5T is more of a conversational piece, looks and feels more expensive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And of course IS more expensive.
grin.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I had no idea it put out more light than a X5. That's great.
I've got a PT Attitude sitting right here. My friends' 3 yr. old is getting it. I took it out, and tried it. It's ok, but it's no X5.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some other gifts today that I'm going to get, but I ordered 6 black and 4 yellow SL 4AA 7LEDs from brightguy just now.
One is for me:D
Thanks for the comments!

btw, they had 25 black, and 199 yellow in stock if anybody else is looking for them.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
Does the SL4AA7LED use any resistors or something to protect the leds? Are the 4AA's run in parallel or serial? By the way, Wits' End, I believe it is pronounced eselfouraeaeseveneleedee. Maybe you could write a poem to go with it.

SteamChucker

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe it has resistors. It's incredibly bright, at least with fresh batteries. It overdrives the LEDs so much that if you put it up to your ear you can hear the LEDs screaming and begging for mercy.

I'm wrong again. I just looked at the flashlight. There appear to be a bunch of 12 Ohm resistors. No doubt one for each LED. The 4 batteries are in series.

It draws 630 milliamps with fresh alkalines.
That's 90 ma per LED.

W4DIZ

Enlightened
I just got my SL4AA7led last week from brightguy.
This one has a resistor across the + & - terminals.it is located in the bottom of the lamp ***.I have heard that the earlier ones did not have it,but I am not sure about that.I am tempted to take it out,but I think I will wait and see what others have to say about that.Some have said that the tail switch is hard to activate,this one is very easy to activate with the thumb.Maybe SL has change this also.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owen,
I think you made a good choice. Anything that uses 123 batteries is not a good choice for a non-flashahalic. I was going to give some LX's last year & decided, for the most part, as soon as they went through the original batteries, that would be it. They'ld go to Walmart to get some more, see the price, & put the light in a drawer. TX