Princeton Tec Corona Headlamp Review

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been using my PT Corona Headlamp for a couple days now, and so far, I love it.

I was looking for good runtime, even flood beam, and small up front...
Well, the Corona fits that perfectly.

I havent been able to do any type of runtime yet, so I cant comment on that yet.
The output is quite bright. There is a soft flood of light as wide as my field of vision, and a surprisingly good "hotspot"
The spot is a blue-ish color, to be expected from the 5mm LEDs though. The side spill is rather white though.

The light has 2 buttons on top the unit, one for High/Low/Strobe, and one for cycling through the levels.

8 LEDs
5 LEDs
3 LEDs
1 LED
Off

Each of those levels can be set to high, low or strobe with the second button.

For example, you press the cycle button twice, now you are in 5 LED mod on high (the light always defaults to high mode), then press the H/L/S button once, now you are in the Low mode for the 5 LED level.
But, if you press the cycle button, to goto 3 LED mode, the light will default back to high mode again.

If the cycle button is pressed after more than 5 seconds has passed sence its last press, the light will turn off.
If you have the light off, and press and hold the cycle button for more than a second, when released, the light will be in 5 LED mode.

Basically, High mode is pretty much direct drive, Low mode is full regulation. (light maintains constant brightness throughout runtime)

The buttons are like a really stiff membrane switch, short travel, and very snappy, perfect I think, the light should not accidentally turn on if thrown in a backpack.

Yea yea, I know, where are the beamshots.. Ill take some soon.
On 1 LED mode and High, its a good bit brighter than an Arc AA, on Low, its about half as bright as an Arc AA.

Im taking it caving tomorow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif which is the main reason I bought it, so I will be able to tell you a good bit more then.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Heres some photos I took of the Corona.
http://www.jtice.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=PTCoronaHeadLamp

UPDATE::::::
2-20-05
Went caving for about 4 hours with the Corona last night. Couldnt have been more pleased.
Most the time I had it on the 5 led low mode. one led on low was more than enough light to sit back, and have a bite to eat in the cave.

I never noticed any dimming, the light took a good bit of bangs, and never skipped a beat.
Ill keep the same set of batts in it a while and see how it does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~John

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Princeston Tec Corona Headlamp Review

Good review, outstanding set of photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like mine but haven't used it seriously. I'm interested to hear your thoughts after caving with it.

Britt

jtice

Flashaholic

UPDATE::::::
2-20-05
Went caving for about 4 hours with the Corona last night. Couldnt have been more pleased.
Most the time I had it on the 5 led low mode. one led on low was more than enough light to sit back, and have a bite to eat in the cave.

I never noticed any dimming, the light took a good bit of bangs, and never skipped a beat.
Ill keep the same set of batts in it a while and see how it does

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review Jtice! Great pics too, I was starting to wonder how you kept the headlamp from slipping off your helmet then I saw the last few pics with the strap you improvised... great idea! Do you reckon this might be bright enough to use for some night biking though?

jtice

Flashaholic

Stanley,

Well, you COULD bike with it, bit it might not have enough throw for that, it will light the area around your great, but not 40 feet down the trail all that well.

But if under 50 feet is more important to you in a headlamp, you cant go wrong with the Corona.
It does have a a bit of a hotspot, but its wide, with grea spill light, typical of 5mm leds.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Jtice, sounds like it'll make a good flood light for biking, to be mounted on the handlebars or something like that. For throw/spot guess I can just rig up a more powerful light onto the helmet...

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
i also luv my Corona.

did you notice that even a single LED in low mode puts out a nice beam that actually gives a light sabre effect in dust?

and that flood, it's beautiful!

jtice

Flashaholic

yep, the fog in the cave was cool with just one led one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
i noticed that alot when i pointed it down to my feet while i was having a snack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradboehringer

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have one of these lying around still?
I'm looking for the mounting bracket for my bike.
An attempted theft snapped mine off.