any american hot rod fans here?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man there working on a car now it is a 67 corvette stingray lol the owner wants a 1500 hp motor in it and all this crazy stuff even ac.man if they pull it off it will be one fast car

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
Catch it once in a while. I can't believe that a business could actually be run this way and wonder how many of the deadline issues are for the benefit of the TV viewer.
What happened to Charlie?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if he is the painter he quit but ii have a feeling he is comeing back on tonights episode they hinted to that.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Watching it right now. They've got a "mystery painter" comming in to paint it. I bet it's Charlie.

Boyd is actually doing some work! He's the painter!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow i didnt think id like the red but i do.but i still say 1500 hp is to much. if i understand he is going to drive it daily.i mean 500 hp in that car would be plenty

Sixpointone

Enlightened
This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what it is worth. But after they way the show showed Boyd dealing with the departure of Charlie, I have no plans to watch the show again. Once again, that is only my view, but one I feel strongly about.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i agree boyd is a jerk and so is that boss guy,i just love the cars this corvette is amazeing ive never seen anything that good looking.i wonder what it cost 250k?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to catch the show for the past few months. My father owns a garage and body shop and I worked there in high school and college so I have background and continuing interest in this area. Boyd's shop does some amazing stuff but they aren't very good on the mechanical side of things. I don't think Boyd and Dewayne deal with their employees very well. I think working in that shop would be a very interesting job, just wouldn't pay as well as what I do now.

I had seen another show with Chip Foose maybe 6 weeks ago and Charlie was on it working with Chip. So I started watching for hints that Charlie might be leaving and sure enough in a few weeks he started talking about it.

I'm sure that a lot of the drama that we see on TV is generated for the sake of the TV show itself. Normal daily activities are probably fairly dull.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the show. But I lost some respect for Boyd along the way. Like the time he yelled at Charlie when he asked him what he thought of the blue and yellow paint scheme on one of the cars they were building. Charlie didn't like it, and Boyd couldn't believe it and really let him have an earfull. I mean come on, Boyd asked Charlie his OPINION, and because it was different from his, he gets yelled at. What a jerk.
They do make some really cool cars, though, and I find the controversy between the workers entertaining.

Rebus

Enlightened
With all the messing around and fighting
it's easy to see why one of their Rods
cost $200 thousand. Sheesh!! Only for the
Stupid Rich...

-Rebus

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
I catch that show and others as well.

No doubt many of the time constraints are bogus, so let's pretend they don't exist.

Much of the gunk music annoy's the daylights out of me. Leting me know it's Monster Garage 30 times in 40 seconds is not going to help my mood.

At that level one would think that custom cars are a profession. From the moment the client comes into the shop to discuss the order. Gathering the parts. Preparing the machine work. Building the job, and delivery.

Why should there be a human factors problem in the straight foward task of making a vehicle special.

I don't want to see guys trying to shake off too much weekend beer (or worse)when they come in the door 45 min late. It's as if most of the staff has way too much trouble in life to worry about making a living.

For the staff, that means showing up to work on time, doing things according to some kind of standard. Showing a little professionalism and respect.

Im nobodys car guy, but I could do most of the basic mechanical stuff on the show. Simple machine work. Basic gas welding. I can drive bolts, and trouble shoot issues as well as any of the 'talents on the show. I can do it w/o the hysterics and the arguments that are such a waste of time if your watching to learn how the 'pros' manage it.

It's seems that many of the 'pros' are not just dis-functional but straight to mal-functional

In these shows there are a few real talents.

Metal fabrication.
I got to get one of those welding tools, they look cool. When Jessy James makes a fuel tank for a bike.

Selling
One is selling the mod. It takes an amazing talent geting the wealthy to part with great big gobs of money for this work.

Paint.
Another real talent is paint (like most art forms)is a matter of skill and applyed physics.

Ever notice how the shop owners tend to be cast Iron pricks about some things.

Paul SR from that chopper show is a classic. He reminds me of an old boss. Then again it takes a will like that to make any small business run and stay in the black.

IMHO

jtice

Flashaholic
i like the show alot.

I think Boyd is handling things very badley, and they need to lay off those guys, he keeps throwing crazy deadlines at them

As Charlie said, its hurting the quality of the cars to get them done that fast, and thats not what its supposed to be about,
Thats one of the main things that pissed off Charlie, and I dont blame him for leaving.

Chip Foose seems like a way cooler guy to work for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vairman

Newly Enlightened
Charlie showed up on an episode of Overhaulin with Chip Foose. Seems he is working over there now. My car disease is worse than my light addiction (more expensive). Would love to be out in CA seeing all the non-rusted rides.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boyd is a whore and a fake. If you take a look at his wheel catalog they are very distinctly rip-offs of some very popular lines like Forgeline, Fikse, Enkie, and BBS. His show is nothing but him selling his company to the media to generate his own business. His clients are the all money and no sense kind. it doesnt cost 250k to do everything they do to those cars. The majority of the price is in the name doing the work.

*hopps off of soap box* ok im done now,

Shane

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked that show at first, but the firing or for tha tmatter the hiring of blue bear and putting up with his trucks, the intern from another country, Duanes constant nagging, and the thing with Charlie, I quit watching it. I hope a lot of that stuff is for tv, otherwise I would avoid his products in the future. Frankly I am surprised someone like him would agree to that show in the first place.

As for the biker shows, no surprise. They take a frame, put in a motor, tranny, oil and gas tank, wheels, seat and handle bars then TADA, you have a bike. Do we really need multiple shows showing us the same thing over and over again?

As for monster garage and monster nation, give it a rest. THey no longer stick to a budget unless its near 50 grand, the things they build no longer look like the original and they seldom fail to build, however a few did fail to perform. Monster nation is great if you like seeing the same episodes over and over again and again.

I know some think jessie james is hot stuff, I had a relative who used a torch and 75 pound sheets of steel to build air craft carriers and submarines. You dont see a show about him do you?

I rather have junkyard wars and those other shows they use to air.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
Time to revive this issue again. (Just when you thought it would lay down and expire)

Tonights Monster Garage had J James building a bike with a bunch of High School kids from DC.

I thought it was a real good start. Then again I think that any kind of hands on teaching is a good idea.

Anybody else have an opinion.

Later dudes
Jack Crow in the first world.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow jack i was thinking the same and almost posted it.i sure wish i had stuff like that in school. the math and other stuff i nwas aweful at. but i love to learn.i quit school very very young.would of styaed for a call like that

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, west coast to east coast. Surprised no one caught him putting th ebelt on the wrong side as the engine and motor were mounted backwards at first.

I believe they said they would auction the bike off to give the money to the shop and a few tool kits were donated to the shop too. They use to have a monster kids show where kids at different school shops built stuff and the kids and shop got tools.