Newly Enlightened
New bad-*** Princeton Tec Apex:

IM000280.JPG

Burn time: 3 hours on 3 watt LED high mode
Built in heat sink
Waterproof to 1 Meter
Current regulated for constant light output
Battery power meter to let you know about battery life
2 switch designfor independent contrlol of the 3 watt LED and the 4 - 5mm LEDs.
4AA battery pack in the back designed to use AA alkaline, Lithium, & NiMH rechargeable batteries
Colors black, olive drab, orange

Pre-order here:
http://www.modernmountainman.com/catalog.php?type=product&id=43887

jtice

Flashaholic
I thought about getting one of these, but went with the Corona.
Throw isnt real important to me in a headlamp, but multiple levels and runtime was.

If alot of throw is important to you though, you might want this, or the Zenix IQ.

QualityAir

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Yukon HL, although I'm pleased with it's performance, I'm wanting a little more light on the low setting and more distance on high. I'm hoping that the Apex with 4- 5mm leds outside the main lens will get me closer to what I need.
With the HL's 3- 5mm leds in the reflector, I assume that it is hindering the main bulb's ability.
I'll report back when I get it. You guy's have more time on this then I do, what do you think?

mrme

Enlightened
Where does the heat go?
If it is running the LED at 3 watts, there will be quite a bit of it.
Or is this another case of an underdirven Luxeon and the wattage is just marketing?

vtunderground

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mrme said:
Where does the heat go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that it has a heat sink on the back, if you look closely at this picture you can see what I assume are metal heat sink fins.

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
The Apex is supposed to have multiple power levels for the 3W LED and the 5mm LEDs (equipped.com had a little blurb about it in their SHOT show report).

I'm definitely picking this one up once it hits the shelves.

Sam

rscanady

Enlightened
Does anyone have the EOS models, I just ordered 2 for $23 each and am wondering maybe if I should just wait for the apex? whats the price on the apex?

Ryan

rscanady

Enlightened
Nevermind, $67 for the new apex, I dont feel bad at all about spending $23 on the EOS model, you can never have to many i guess

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
rscanady said:
Nevermind, $67 for the new apex, I dont feel bad at all about spending $23 on the EOS model, you can never have to many i guess

[/ QUOTE ]
---------------------
Where did you order the EOS from?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Apex has a battery gauge, how does it distinguish between rechargeables, alks or liths? Typically, a battery gauge depends on voltage.

mrme

Enlightened
Most of the world uses alkalines in their lights. I doubt a company like PT would even bother trying to figure out a way to distinguish different chemistries.

Also, by the time Ni-Mh and lithium battereis have any noticable volatage drop, they are pretty well toast anyways (at least acording to the graphs I have seen). So what good would a gage do you? It couldn't be trusted.

My biggest beef with using Ni-Mh in my headlamps is almost no warning before they die. Alkalines give you plenty of warning.