Xbox Power Cord Recall (.01% Fire Danger)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I put the "angry" on this for fire danger not because I'm upset /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't have an Xbox but heard this on the news and didn't see anywhere else here. If stats are true it could affect 1 or 2 members here.
Microsoft Announces Power Cord Replacement for Xbox
[ QUOTE ]
REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 17, 2005 — As a precautionary measure and out of concern for consumer safety, Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will voluntarily replace the power cords on 14.1 million Xbox® consoles worldwide.
The replacement power cords are designed to protect consumers and their Xbox consoles from rare electrical component failures that can pose a fire hazard. Fewer than one in 10,000 consoles have experienced these component failures, and, in almost all instances, any damage caused by these failures was contained within the console itself or limited to the tip of the power cord at the back of the console.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, in 30 consoles worldwide, these failures are reported to have caused minor injury or minor property damage. In seven instances, customers reported sustaining a minor burn to their hand. In 23 instances, customers reported smoke damage, or minor damage to a carpet or entertainment center.

[/ QUOTE ]

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks for some. While I am not a "fan" of Microsoft, I will say that this isn't their fault. Whomever puts that part together for them is at fault here. Fortunatly its no big deal, otherwise it would have been called much 'louder' and it would be all over the news and what not.

Cameron

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Yup. I got my email from Microsoft this morning.
I guess since I've been an Xbox Live subscriber since Nov 2003, they assumed my xbox is from that time too. either that or Xbox live reads the serial numbers off the xbox.
This is where you go to get your new cord.
enter your date of manu as well as the xbox serial.

JOshooter

Enlightened
I know many people don't like Microsoft, but this incident speaks about their commitment to customer safety.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Actually, to me shows how good they are at covering their own butts. Easier to replace this now instead of dealing with a class action suit later.
I'm sure "customer safety" probably had a 0.001% influence somewhere but I'm figuring that it's mainly them not wanting to be sued later and also avoiding the bad PR.