$100-150 for an EDC. What are the contenders?

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Im in the waiting list for the CR2-ion by Endeavour. The light has exactly the price range of $100-150. However, after reading around, considering and recalculating, etc, I feel that there are a few contenders and legitimate EDC led lights in the price range.

some i can think of:
1. CR2-ion
2. HDS Basic 42 or 60
3. KL1 + 1CR123 body + McE2S or E1L with extra McE2S
4. Firefly ?
5. any others?

I previously thinking about the Keylux N-cell with AAA extension option but I decided that, for EDC, a dual (at least) stage is a must.

What do you guys think about each of the contenders?
What i can think of:
-CR2-ion: CR2 battery, does NOT support RCR2. smallest
-HDS basic 42: 4 stage brightness, support R123, low availability?
-E1L or KL1 combo: support R123, exchangeable options for future lights (aleph, surefires E-series), the biggest of them all (especially the bezel) ?
-Firefly: not sure on this...

anyone can add in or comments? appreciate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Definitely the Fire~Fly. Uses the common CR123 battery for small size, light and long runtime, 2 stage switch, awesome beam with a reflector and as small as you can get with that battery. Also uses sandwiches that you can swap and upgrade as new emitters come out.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I just bought an E1L and put a McE2S tailcap on it. Just about $150. It may not be the smallest, but it's easily upgradable (new bezels as they come out), has two stages, can take R123 batteries as well as CR123 primaries without any modification, and very durable.

I'm not all that familiar with the FireFly, but I know it's well-regarded.

MicroE

Enlightened
You should definitely look at the McGizmo Aleph 2. I have one with a 1x123 with a 2-stage switch and I love it. The low-power beam is just right for most tasks and the high-beam is phenomenal.
You should be able to get one near the top of your price range or maybe under if you get a deal on B/S/T.---Marc

paulr

Flashaholic
Katakochi Ichishiki CR2? The Aleph is a wonderful light but a bit large to EDC, at least for my EDC'ing style.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are new "flared" CR2 bodies avail. for Aleph;

see picture of ALeph 2 head, NG500, FT 2 stage tailcap

I really like it. Aleph CR2

jeffb

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
If size is the thing look's like the CR2 ion is the ticket
Aleph I bet is best beam quality but it's as big as most 123
EDC style light's. If you like the aleph size is ok, the KL-1 on a VG FB-1 body look's to be the same size wise, maybe smaller. I love the new KL-1 with the VG 1X123 body, I plan to get an aleph head in the future, just not sure which. VDG

EDIT:
I sorta read your post wrong. you want two or more level's then the HDS basic is "it"
I will stand on the SF KL-1 VG/FB-1 setup about 90 bucks, killer
EDC and my current favorite most used light (at least till my HDS basic 60 arrives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )VDG

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Looks like they are all good and it really down to personal preference... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Aleph2 is also interesting but it will cost me $180+ brand new.
Paulr: how much is the ichisiki? does it accept RCR2? I never read through the thread, assuming it will by waaaay over my price range.
Jeffb: thats one nice little light... but i believe the price is the same as those CR123 body? How much did it cost you? It WILL accept RCR2 right? What does 'flared' mean anyway?
Fusion: Thx for the suggestion but I prefer 2 stage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would take Keylux N-cell over that one if I prefer something small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Overall Im inclined with the Aleph2 + flared CR2 but the cost is.... I also like the HDS with the small body and 4 stage switch for only $120 but it has no interchangeable feature. I think I'll drop the CR2 as it only wins with small size but no interchangeable and no rechargeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Another point to add: It would be great if the little light has attachment hold for keyrings. I know the CR2-ion has it. But can we do that to the aleph series?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT:
I sorta read your post wrong. you want two or more level's then the HDS basic is "it"
I will stand on the SF KL-1 VG/FB-1 setup about 90 bucks, killer
EDC and my current favorite most used light (at least till my HDS basic 60 arrives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )VDG