Key chain light recs?

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
Been meaning to pick on of these up for my key ring for ages, something like the PT one. Odd how you STILL can only find blue LED's at most stores.

Anyway I'm curious as to what you guys can recommend for this. Prefferably something very small <$20

sithjedi333

Enlightened
If you need really small, I would look at the Photon lights, Peak AAA light or the Skylight comfortlight. I think all of them are $30 or less.

mykall

Enlightened
I'd recommend the Photon 3. Small, bright, various
modes, water resistant, durable and $17.95 from
photonmicrolight.com.

I do like the ASP lights as Zipper pulls though,
just not for my key ring.

MB

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not that crazy about the Photon 3, since its user interface is in my opinion clumsy. I like the newer Photon Freedom model better. I still also like the Photon 2 and at this point I'd say the cheap clones of it are almost as good. KevinL on this board is selling some for $1.25 each. I've been pretty happy with them. I think it's only worth getting more expensive lights if you're a connoisseur.

If you like the PT, I'd say get the PT.

If you want the smallest possible light, again, KevinL has some for $1.75, that are 1/3 the size of a Photon and use two 1220 cells.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunantly the one I would recommend is 90+ but take alook at the nano thread anyway it'll blow you away.

doug

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a list of ones i like just my opinion. I am leaving out ARC since it's no longer made, and If you find one,
it's just too expensive for what it does....
COIN CELL LIGHTS:
Photon freedom
PT eclipse
Streamlight keymate

STD BATTERY(AA,AAA)
Cmg/gerber Sonic (I like the CMG older ones better)
Gerber/CMG/ultra-G: infinity ultra
Dorcy: 1AAA

Couple of notes,,,
many feel the infinity ultra is a little big, same with the dorcy.Just depend's on personal preference

The sonic has fan's and detractor's, some of the sonic's turn too easy and come on in a pocket, I have not had that problem, but some do.( I think it has to do with how you carry the keys, loose pocket no prob, but in tight jeans pocket i can see that)

there is the peak light's, really nice,well made but i never
owned one.

Someone will inevitably bring up how the long gone ARC is best, and as a total unit it might well be. But if you don't want to spend 50-100 bucks for a 25 dollar light look elsewhere. there are light's in my list as good or better then the arc/aaa as far as beam and brightness goes. (a photon freedom, a sonic if you get a good bright one, same for the dorcy).

Also a modded mag solitaire is a great light, (see flashlight review's.com for ideas)I carry a modded "easy mod" and like it a lot, but lately it's been a photon freedom in night vison green. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If you want the smallest possible light, again, KevinL has some for $1.75, that are 1/3 the size of a Photon and use two 1220 cells.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey paul, any pic's of that small light? I gotta see that!

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Just today I received my $1.25 keychain lights from KevinL.

They are near-clones of the Photon II I carry on my keychain, but are at least twice as bright...very pleased.

Look for: FS: $1.25 keylights, round 3, 4, 5 or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif in the B/S/T~Lights forum.

JB

paulr

Flashaholic
picolight2.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
picolight2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn Paul!!!!!!! I will need to get a few. Will PM you. VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unfortunately I am out of picolights (the tiny one) at the moment. They are very touch and go, and I am trying to get as many as I can. The last 40 I brought yesterday in sold out in less than 24 hours - with more than half of them going in under 10 minutes. I still have the normal kind though.

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
KevinL's lights look great. I may have to pick up several.

That is this nano thing?

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Ok. Can I take my foot out of my mouth now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jbfla said:
... but are at least twice as bright...very pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks to paulr and kitelites for pointing out the error of my ways.

New batteries restored the Photon II to be the equal or greater than the other lights.

Taking the Photon II, four $1.25 lights, and two County Comm 20/$20 lights (all had new, unused batteries) to the closet (hoping my wife doesn't come home early /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) yielded the following:

Photon II... bright even flood.
(2)$1.25 lights... bright spot, not much flood.
(1)$1.25 light... less bright
(1)$1.25 light... really dim
(1)CountyComm light... bright as the better $1.25 light
(1)CountyComm light... dimmest of all

Hardly a definitive test, using only my eyes to judge brightness, but because of the large variations, the only conclusion I can make is that it is very risky claiming one light is brighter than another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Overall, I'm still pleased with the $1.25 lights, but not ready to discard the Photon II.

JB

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently got a Photon III and can recommend it. I like it quite a bit.
Definitely bright for it's small size, and it's easily beaten pretty much all the various cheaper keychain lights that I see people carrying around.
I also actually use some of the functions. I leave mine set on medium and hit the momentary bright when needed.
This of course, will be complimented by a Nano in the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: Question - As much as I like my Photon III, I think I got a little unlucky with the color of the white LED as mine is really freakin' blue. Has anyone taken one apart and replaced the LED? I haven't disassembled mine yet to see how easily it can be swapped out for another.