U2 will not dim

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody. I just found this forum a week ago and love it. Great bunch of people.

Just got a U2 the other day and it does not dim. When you turn the level adjustment ring about half the way around the light just goes out. I called Surefire and they said they had never heard of this failure mode before. Great, I am the first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif At least it works on the high setting.

The Lux V color on the light is very white. It has a donut but is pretty hard to see and does not bother me. I see that nobody here has gotten there U2 back from Surefire service yet so I am going to keep mine until they start to send out replacements.

BTW, the new Wicked Extreme MX is cool but $$$.

Cheers

Dave

*Retired*
Sorry to hear of your problem.

I when you do send it back, I hope they don't replace your light, you might end up with a yucky greenie.

Any chance something isn't engaging properly?

Has it been broken from the start, like it has never worked? Surefire is known for their quality, so pretty surprising to hear this.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it was broken from the start. I do not see anyway to get it apart short of voiding the warranty. I do wonder if it will switch to a lower level on its own when the bats power starts to fade.

Do you feel or hear anything when you rotate the variable output control on a fully functional U2? Mine makes no sound.

mokona2

Enlightened
I don't hear anything when I rotate the output control, but you should feel a very small amount of resistance as each brightness level kicks in. My guess is something is defective with the contacts in the output control. Hopefully SF will fix it for you without too much of a delay.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you have a strong rare earth magnet, move it around near the collar and see if you can induce some different levels of light. Not really sure what that will tell you though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. It did not dim the light but it did turn the light off and on! Every time I held the magnet in a certain place the light went out (if the selector ring was in hi power setting). The converse was possible as well with the magnet turning the light on.

Does anybody know what the inside of this light looks like?

BTW, I used a very powerful magnet that came from an old hard drive servo. It will warp my CRT monitor from 35".

erin0919

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry. SF will fix it or give you a brand new head. But, it will take at least 4 weeks!